Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
11/22/2017 @ 03:24 AM

Forum Index > Hunting > Dog Training New Topic Post Reply
 Dog wont go into truck crate

|  Printable Version
nmac54
 October 25 2017 07:07PM (Read 1299 times)  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I have a one year old lab who recently started not wanting to go into his crate in the back of the truck. He will go into his crate in the house no problem and without being told to. It is quite the struggle to get him in the truck crate. Is there any way to male him less leery of it?

Profile Email PM
littlealfet
 October 25 2017 07:32PM  
Forum Senior Member

I had a Golden that I had to just about pick her up to put her in the kennel in the truck at home to go hunting, but once out in the field she would jump right in. It may have come from she thought she was being punished when put in kennel ? Never did change I just worked around it. Try a treat to get him in.

Profile Email PM
HEROMA
 October 26 2017 09:09AM  
Forum Senior Member

Sounds like something happened to him while in the crate in the truck? I've had mine tip over in the back and they were a little shy about going in for a bit. Try feeding them in the kennel. Make it his happy place. With a little gentle coaxing I'm sure you can get them going back in.

GO STATE!!

Profile Email PM
delmuts
 October 26 2017 09:13AM  
Forum Senior Member

I agree , something happened in the crate. As said. try to make it a happy place for the dog. Will take time.

Profile Email PM
fowl_attitude
 October 26 2017 09:57AM  
Forum Senior Member

I don't know how many other people do it, but I strap my crate down so it isn't rattling around back there. I run a strap through a vent hole and out the other side to the bed of the truck. And it is pushed all the way up against the cab to prevent as much wind noise as i can. Just something to think about.

Profile Email PM
FMB50010
 October 26 2017 10:06AM  
Regular Contributor

can they jump into your bed. Might have an injury. or pain when jumping.... Otherwise, make that create a happy place for them. just at home put it on the ground and make them comfortable again in it then go back to the truck....build confidence up.

Profile Email PM
nmac54
 October 26 2017 10:14AM  
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the replies guys. Last night I did set it on the ground and he would go in if i tossed a treat in there. I'll just keep letting him check it out on the ground. I think I screwed up by letting him ride in the cab too much when he was little instead if always in the crate.

Profile Email PM
HEROMA
 October 26 2017 01:46PM  
Forum Senior Member

At some point the dog must do what you ask it to do. If my dog wouldn't go in the crate without a treat that would be a problem. I think most of my dogs did refuse to go in the crate at some point in there lives (normally younger age). You may have to physically put the dog in the crate at some point so he knows when you speak he listens. It only takes a few refusals for me and then I physically put them in. If he knows what the command is and isn't injured in some way then in he goes when asked. I think he may be playin ya some.

GO STATE!!

Profile Email PM
fowl_attitude
 October 26 2017 01:54PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: nmac54

Thanks for the replies guys. Last night I did set it on the ground and he would go in if i tossed a treat in there. I'll just keep letting him check it out on the ground. I think I screwed up by letting him ride in the cab too much when he was little instead if always in the crate.

You probably just answered your own question. I wouldn't want to go in the crate either if I knew what it was like in the cab. Not that I haven't done that before with my dog, but only a couple of times a year. My dog knows when the crate goes in the back of the truck, we are going hunting or we are going out to the farm so he can run and swim. He gets amped up when he sees me put the crate in the truck. Same thing with his hunting vest. If he sees me get that out of the garage he will lay by the front door. Once your dog realizes there is fun to be had at the other end of that truck ride, he will be fine.

Profile Email PM
nmac54
 October 26 2017 03:30PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: HEROMA

At some point the dog must do what you ask it to do. If my dog wouldn't go in the crate without a treat that would be a problem. I think most of my dogs did refuse to go in the crate at some point in there lives (normally younger age). You may have to physically put the dog in the crate at some point so he knows when you speak he listens. It only takes a few refusals for me and then I physically put them in. If he knows what the command is and isn't injured in some way then in he goes when asked. I think he may be playin ya some.

I do physically stuff him in there when he wont do it on his own, but its not the easiest.

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 October 26 2017 09:32PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

I think I would put a treat in the box so he started associating going into the box with going hunting. Is his crate fully covered. My big dog hates not being able to see out.

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
nmac54
 October 28 2017 05:31AM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: kenhump

I think I would put a treat in the box so he started associating going into the box with going hunting. Is his crate fully covered. My big dog hates not being able to see out.

Its a homemade one with holes just on the side the door is on. I thought about that too, maybe he is just scared to go in because he cant see. Maybe ill cut some holes in the sides that can be covered up when it gets real cold.

Profile Email PM
gsgramps
 November 13 2017 02:23PM  

did you try keeping the kennel in the garage for a few nights and have him go in to sleep. might even feed him for a few nites in there. he should soon feel safe and it would be his 2nd home-bed. my lab when young would refuse to go into her out door house and even want to sleep out side in bad weather. few nites she got the point. (but she prefers the cab if i give in to her)

Profile Email PM
Spionhund
 November 14 2017 11:24AM  
Forum Senior Member

you said that this happened recently. Could it be that it is colder now and he didnt like it? DO you have a warm cover on or some warm bedding?

www.huntwithamunster.com

Profile Email Website PM
bhilligas
 November 14 2017 12:29PM  
Regular Contributor

Man's best friend is supposed to ride shotgun lol

Profile Email PM
dkwolf
 November 14 2017 12:52PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: bhilligas

Yeah. I challenge you to keep that mentality up when man's best friend is a 70 lb lab with epilepsy. Trust me. One instance of the dog going into a gran maul seizure right next to you at 70 mph will be enough to make you re-evaluate that choice.

This land is not inherited from our ancestors, rather it is borrowed from our children.

Profile Email PM
maxx
 November 14 2017 02:47PM  
Forum Senior Member

I have gotten lazy and put my dog in the back of my extended cab so I am not one to talk but it is much much safer for a dog to be in a crate in a car. It kind of acts like a child seat for them.

There were things he could do without declared Reed. "Steaks that don't bleed. Coffee with cream. Guys who don't swear. Boots that leak. Wild animals in cages. Bears trained to do tricks. Cheese that has no smell." Jay Reed

Profile Email PM
berettadouble
 November 14 2017 03:01PM  
Regular Contributor

Bingo. Dog wants to ride shotgun. My setter does the same. She gets a donut at the end of the hunt too.

Admittedly I had a lab that shattered a windshield with her head when I popped the clutch reversing downhill, and same lab threw up in my lap going 75mph at one point (separate instances).

But if I can't spoil a little , screw it.

Profile Email PM
dkwolf
 November 14 2017 04:31PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: maxx

I have gotten lazy and put my dog in the back of my extended cab so I am not one to talk but it is much much safer for a dog to be in a crate in a car. It kind of acts like a child seat for them.

That too. My fiance's blue heeler will not stay where you put her in the truck, if she can get on the center console and lean against you, she will.

And in a wreck, your dog becomes a 50+ lb missile. Definitely won't work out well for the dog, and doesn't have good odds of being in your favor either.

This land is not inherited from our ancestors, rather it is borrowed from our children.

Profile Email PM
delmuts
 November 14 2017 07:31PM  
Forum Senior Member

Having a dog loose in a car/ truck. Been there; with black lab in back seat. Don't know what all happened during the wreck. ( longest 1-2 seconds of my life!) They found her at a farmers two miles from scene. Badly beaten up, but survived. Think carefully when doing this.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 1.16 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 03:24 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 1.20 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com