Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
11/22/2017 @ 03:11 AM

Forum Index > Hunting > Waterfowling New Topic Post Reply
 Meet the beast

|  Printable Version
Spionhund
 November 11 2017 10:39PM (Read 1560 times)  
Forum Senior Member

Got bit by the duck bug and hubby found a great deal on this boat. It is an 1860 gator tail with a 37 gator tail motor. It is a 2012 and only had 9 hours on it. ICant wait to take her out tomorrow!

I need to get her rigged up for the hounds. Would like to know if I can rig some kind of a box for them to sit in and rig a heater to it?

www.huntwithamunster.com

Profile Email Website PM
gsgramps
 November 12 2017 01:50PM  

you may want to start with a liner to keep some of the wind out. both you and the dog will be grateful for the extra protection in a few weeks.

Profile Email PM
maxx
 November 13 2017 08:50AM  
Forum Senior Member

Yup nice looking boat.

You are definitely going to want to put something in there to line it to keep the wind out. The heater wont do jack in there without that.

My boat sets up similar to that. I just leave the dog on the front of the boat. I am guessing your dogs should handle the cold decently with their long hair. I put a vest on them when it is really cold. If I ever get a day that I am worried I just bring them inside the boat with me by the heater for awhile. If your dogs are anything like mind they will just want to be on the front anyway. Get yourself fa decent size rubber made tub. You can put extra cloths in it for you and then put some dry towels or small blankets for the dog.

I have tried a few ladders for dogs to get back in and they suck. If you are hunting shallow enough the dogs can normally jump right in. If I am hunting deep water I do it two ways. One way is I will put my Avery dog stand at the water level. Typically the dog can get on it and then jump in the boat from there.

The other way is I get on the front of the boat, grab bird form dog, send them back out if there are more or just grab them by the collar and lift them in!

There were things he could do without declared Reed. "Steaks that don't bleed. Coffee with cream. Guys who don't swear. Boots that leak. Wild animals in cages. Bears trained to do tricks. Cheese that has no smell." Jay Reed

Profile Email PM
Mr.Seaguar
 November 13 2017 11:19AM  
Forum Senior Member

So the ducks don't avoid you with the front open and not camo at all?

A noble Spirit embiggens the smallest Man

Profile Email PM
White81
 November 13 2017 11:28AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Why can't I see pictures posted using photobucket? They always just show an X.

Profile Email PM
maxx
 November 13 2017 01:31PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Mr.Seaguar

Depending on what I am hunting have closed up the front and I have put a grass matt on the front of the boat and had the dog sit on it but I don't always do it.

I have had good luck, dogs for some reason don't bother birds as long as they are not moving. I have had ducks trying to land when the dog is making retrieves. One thing I try to do, not always but I don't want the boat in line with the kill hole. I prefer to have the boat off to a side. I really prefer a quartering wind and I don't like having it straight in my back. This way the birds are not looking at the blind they are looking at the water or decoys.

There were things he could do without declared Reed. "Steaks that don't bleed. Coffee with cream. Guys who don't swear. Boots that leak. Wild animals in cages. Bears trained to do tricks. Cheese that has no smell." Jay Reed

Profile Email PM
fowl_attitude
 November 13 2017 01:45PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: maxx

Quote by: Mr.Seaguar

Depending on what I am hunting have closed up the front and I have put a grass matt on the front of the boat and had the dog sit on it but I don't always do it.

I have had good luck, dogs for some reason don't bother birds as long as they are not moving. I have had ducks trying to land when the dog is making retrieves. One thing I try to do, not always but I don't want the boat in line with the kill hole. I prefer to have the boat off to a side. I really prefer a quartering wind and I don't like having it straight in my back. This way the birds are not looking at the blind they are looking at the water or decoys.

Best advice right there. Another trick we try to use is having the ducks approach facing into the sun. If you place your decoys right, you can manipulate their movement around the hole.

Profile Email PM
8gage
 November 13 2017 01:48PM  

Nice rig

Profile Email PM
fowl_attitude
 November 13 2017 01:56PM  
Forum Senior Member

That is an nice rig by the way

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.43 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 03:11 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.48 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com