Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
11/22/2017 @ 03:25 AM

Forum Index > Hunting > General Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 Trail Camera suggestions

|  Printable Version
CedarStorm1975
 November 12 2017 09:03AM (Read 976 times)  
Forum Senior Member

I have timber in my back yard, and I live in town. I have a security situation I need to deal with. What is a good trail camera to use that won't cost me so much I'll cry if it gets discovered and stolen? I'm looking to be able to get plate #'s and capture photos of the people who cut across my yard to turn over to LEO's.

"Anything that gets your blood racing is worth doing" -Hunter S. Thompson-

Profile Email PM
freckles
 November 12 2017 12:20PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Menards has a 8mp camera for 39 dollars it's a wilgame innovations they take great pictures & the battery life is incredible 8 AA batteries. I have 6 of them NO PROBLEMS. Why spend more Good Luck catching the violators.

Profile Email PM
medicdano
 November 12 2017 01:18PM  
Forum Senior Member

Love my moultries

The temple of a true outdoorsman is the outdoors itself.

Profile Email PM
tkru
 November 12 2017 06:39PM  
Regular Contributor

Walmart has some tasco 6mp trailcams for 25.00 (no sd card or batteries included). Never used them but they are cheap and wont hurt the pocketbook if stolen.

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Profile Email PM
river
 November 12 2017 07:00PM  
Forum Senior Member

I have a Moultrie A5 currently in it's 4th season that will record it's 20,000 ten second video this week. It's a battery hog though. Paid
$60 or $70 for it.

River

You want to catch a fish, you gotta' think like a fish.

Profile Email Website PM
CedarStorm1975
 November 12 2017 07:48PM  
Forum Senior Member

Any tips on hiding on in plain sight? I was thinking about taking a small bit of duck blind netting and draping it over it to conceal it and let it blend in with the foliage? It's not a high traffic spot, but I also don't' want the offenders to know they are on camera Twisted Evil

Profile Email PM
CedarStorm1975
 November 12 2017 07:51PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: freckles

Menards has a 8mp camera for 39 dollars it's a wilgame innovations they take great pictures & the battery life is incredible 8 AA batteries. I have 6 of them NO PROBLEMS. Why spend more Good Luck catching the violators.

This might be my winner- what's the trigger range on this one, any idea? It's about 20-30 yards from the timber to my back patio, and the "offenders walk about halfway between the two.

Profile Email PM
freckles
 November 12 2017 07:56PM  
Regular Contributor

Use any tree 10 to 15 foot tall the trespassers won't see it & can"t reach it easily. I would not cover it as the wind may block your pictures. The wildgame innovations cameras mount with bungie cords so they can go just about anywhere. Also simple & easy to use.

Profile Email PM
freckles
 November 12 2017 08:05PM  
Regular Contributor

I don't know the exact ranges, I can tell you they take GREAT pictures day or night, night pics are black & white but day pics are full color. I usually make a 12 month calendar of my wild life pictures from these cameras. Deer, Turkeys. Squirrels, Coyotes, & even 1 Bobcat. Menards.com may show the camera specs???

Profile Email PM
CedarStorm1975
 November 12 2017 08:15PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: freckles

I don't know the exact ranges, I can tell you they take GREAT pictures day or night, night pics are black & white but day pics are full color. I usually make a 12 month calendar of my wild life pictures from these cameras. Deer, Turkeys. Squirrels, Coyotes, & even 1 Bobcat. Menards.com may show the camera specs???

Now I noticed it says it has a flash......is this a traditional camera flash that might give away its presence at night...or is it a special type of flash that doesnt' give off any light?

Profile Email PM
freckles
 November 13 2017 08:13AM  
Regular Contributor

I would guess it's infrared but I haven't seen it myself, it doesn't spook the wildlife. They take 8 AA batteries & a regular SD card. Good Luck

Profile Email PM
speng5
 November 13 2017 12:13PM  
Forum Senior Member

I'll be watching this thread, I'm looking for a suggestion as to what camera can do the bare minimum of adequate picture taking but wouldn't leave me teary eyed if someone walked off with a couple.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
nlar
 November 13 2017 01:20PM  
Forum Senior Member

Don't buy the Cuddeback special for 75 bucks... I get pictures but they are blured and late...Cuddeback has these POS to compete against some of the the other cheaper models that are far better...would have expected better from Cuddeback...my buddy who ordered one has had the same experience..stay away!!!

Profile Email PM
Tin Roof
 November 13 2017 01:32PM  
Forum Senior Member

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/outdoor-recreation/hunting-equipment/trail-cameras/bladex8-led-scouting-camera/p-1444446517820-c-13897.htm?tid=-5058518044851803189&ipos=1

^ Link to the camera at menards. I have one and it works flawlessly. The flash is infrared, you can see a faint red flash when it goes off. That being said, you'll want to place it somewhere out of line of sight of who you are trying to catch. I'd make a custom mount to put it up in a tree facing down so they can't see it.

Profile Email PM
nlar
 November 13 2017 02:00PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Tin+Roof

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/outdoor-recreation/hunting-equipment/trail-cameras/bladex8-led-scouting-camera/p-1444446517820-c-13897.htm?tid=-5058518044851803189&ipos=1

^ Link to the camera at menards. I have one and it works flawlessly. The flash is infrared, you can see a faint red flash when it goes off. That being said, you'll want to place it somewhere out of line of sight of who you are trying to catch. I'd make a custom mount to put it up in a tree facing down so they can't see it.

I bought one of these and it also crap...all I got was a butt as it went by! I no longer am going to buy cheap trail cameras

Profile Email PM
ECFirearms
 November 13 2017 02:21PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: CedarStorm1975

Any tips on hiding on in plain sight? I was thinking about taking a small bit of duck blind netting and draping it over it to conceal it and let it blend in with the foliage? It's not a high traffic spot, but I also don't' want the offenders to know they are on camera Twisted Evil

I use this type of trail cam mount and place them up in a tree at roughly 15ft. most people do not look up so they go unseen.

"Second Amendment - Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?" -- IAShooters

Profile Email Website PM
Tin Roof
 November 13 2017 02:46PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: nlar

Quote by: Tin+Roof

I bought one of these and it also crap...all I got was a butt as it went by! I no longer am going to buy cheap trail cameras

Mine takes approximately 3000 pictures a year and I've never had an issue. I also have a habit of positioning my cameras in a spot where they are catching a head on or walking away shot instead of broadside. That give me a snapshot of what's ahead or behind of the deer I'm getting a picture of.

Profile Email PM
mhock
 November 13 2017 04:40PM  
Forum Senior Member

Go to trailcampro.com. They do all sorts of tests and reviews and usually have bundle packages.

Genesis 9 : 1 - 3

Profile Email PM
Madison COunty
 November 13 2017 06:51PM  
Regular Contributor

I just bought a moultrie a-30i at Scheels for $99 a couple weeks ago. It has invisible no-glow infared LED’s for covert images up to 60’. I have alwys had good luck with moultrie. AND.....it came with a 2 YEAR WARRANTY!!! A salesman last year talked me into buying a Browning that was on sale, I paid around a hundred bucks and it broke, don’t waste your money on them.

There is a product called CAMBUSH that will help hide your camera that is made in Ankeny iowa, I have used it before and it works. But your best way to hide it is to elevate it in a tree without a strap like someone else mentioned. You can make your own mount with some eye bolts, washers, and wing nuts then spray paint it brown, green or black...just google it.

Profile Email PM
CedarStorm1975
 November 13 2017 07:57PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Madison+COunty

I just bought a moultrie a-30i at Scheels for $99 a couple weeks ago. It has invisible no-glow infared LED�s for covert images up to 60�. I have alwys had good luck with moultrie. AND.....it came with a 2 YEAR WARRANTY!!! A salesman last year talked me into buying a Browning that was on sale, I paid around a hundred bucks and it broke, don�t waste your money on them.

There is a product called CAMBUSH that will help hide your camera that is made in Ankeny iowa, I have used it before and it works. But your best way to hide it is to elevate it in a tree without a strap like someone else mentioned. You can make your own mount with some eye bolts, washers, and wing nuts then spray paint it brown, green or black...just google it.

Great looking product- exactly what I am looking for. I definitely plan on putting this camera up and out of reach. I noticed on youtube that some people use tree stand steps or climbing sticks to accomplish this. My track record with the screw in steps isn't so good (fell out of a tree climbing up to a stand when I was 16, haha). Along with the trespassers I get deer and the occasional turkey.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 1.11 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 03:25 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 1.14 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com