Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
11/22/2017 @ 03:24 AM

Forum Index > Hunting > Dog Training New Topic Post Reply
 Hunting Dog's eyes are swollen

|  Printable Version
Antler Obsession
 November 13 2017 01:54PM (Read 640 times)  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

So I have a hunting labradoodle (don't judge me, it was a compromise) Big Grin and I'm having troubles with her eyes during and after a hunt. Her lower eyelids are becoming raw and even bleeding some. Her eyes are OK, it's just the area right under the eye. This just started this year. I didn't have any issues with it that I remember last year. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what you did to help alleviate it. I thought about putting a coating of vaseline under each eye prior to going out. Any thoughts?

Deer...It's What's For Dinner

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 November 13 2017 02:21PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Antler+Obsession

So I have a hunting labradoodle (don't judge me, it was a compromise) Big Grin and I'm having troubles with her eyes during and after a hunt. Her lower eyelids are becoming raw and even bleeding some. Her eyes are OK, it's just the area right under the eye. This just started this year. I didn't have any issues with it that I remember last year. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what you did to help alleviate it. I thought about putting a coating of vaseline under each eye prior to going out. Any thoughts?

My Lab, Roxxxy, would rub her eye lids, cheeks and nose bloody. After the hunts I would just put a little vaseline on them and she would be good to go the next day. Eventually she had most of the fur rubbed off her face but the skin toughened up and it wouldnt bleed as much.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
Oldbear
 November 13 2017 02:28PM  
Forum Senior Member

Maybe she's allergic to weeds.

Profile Email PM
Antler Obsession
 November 13 2017 03:53PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Quote by: Oldbear

Maybe she's allergic to weeds.

That would be a BAD thing! It doesn't strike me as an allergy, more of an abrasion.

Deer...It's What's For Dinner

Profile Email PM
flex2win
 November 13 2017 04:08PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Antler+Obsession

Check for little seeds in her behind her eyelids causing the irritation. I would advise to use the vaseline as well, that is what i did with my setter for many years.

Profile Email PM
maxx
 November 14 2017 09:54AM  
Forum Senior Member

That is just part of owning a hunting dog. They get beat up the grass really cuts them up.

You can get some triple antibiotic ointment from the vet or a supply store. It helps them heal pretty fast.

I have also heard of some guys putting Vaseline around the area prior to hunting.

Honestly I don't do much they get beat up rest a day and they are fine. My buddy had my dog in SD for the opener. She came back all types of beat up. It was nice she actually laid around quite for a few days and then she was back to herself!

There were things he could do without declared Reed. "Steaks that don't bleed. Coffee with cream. Guys who don't swear. Boots that leak. Wild animals in cages. Bears trained to do tricks. Cheese that has no smell." Jay Reed

Profile Email PM
mskursh
 November 14 2017 10:16AM  
Forum Senior Member

our lab has a spot she loves in our yard that i pulled a bunch of poison ivy out of. every once in a while, i'll let her out of the garage and a side of her face will be swollen for a day. we give her a few crushed up benedryl and its usually back to normal in the morning.

Profile Email PM
Spionhund
 November 14 2017 11:22AM  
Forum Senior Member

The cover this year is really dry. All my dogs have roughed up eyes and noses. A few hunting dogs Ihave seen also have roughed up nail beds and tops of their toes. They will get over it as the year goes on. Check the eyes really good after every hunt to make sure there are no seeds. Lift up eyelids and also inspect the 3rd eyelid. If you see a seed, best thing to do is try to dislodge it by blowing in the eye. Try not to use your fingers or other objects unless absolutely necessary. Buy some saline solution to use if you need it. Give them a good flushing.
But the outside of the eyes, nose, feet, there is nothing to really be done with that other than rest a couple days.

www.huntwithamunster.com

Profile Email Website PM
kenhump
 November 14 2017 03:15PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

My big poodle is having a problem with right eye. 10 years old and first time.

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.65 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 03:24 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.69 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com