Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
11/22/2017 @ 03:16 AM

Forum Index > Fishing > General Fishing Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Lake Sundown

|  Printable Version
Bixahawk
 November 13 2017 04:33PM (Read 745 times)  

Hey guys I'm looking at buying some land somewhere just for fishing & camping. Lake Sundown's web sight says the fishing is great but it would be a 3hr drive from Clinton, has anyone have any info on the lake or has fished it. Thanks in advance. Any other suggestions closer would also be appreciated.

Profile Email PM
Daver
 November 13 2017 08:29PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I don't know much about Lake Sundown...but if you buy something 3 hours away I suspect that you will regret it someday as that travel distance will suppress your usage of your getaway IMO. 60-90 minutes of travel one way is doable IMO, but more than that will be too much.

If you are in Clinton, what about something along the Mississippi, like Guttenburg or Lansing?

Be careful with the difference between what you think and what you know.

Profile Email PM
Bixahawk
 November 13 2017 11:04PM  

Thanks for the reply Daver. I do fish the Mississippi a lot, but the water fluctuations are getting old, just looking for something different that I can put a camper on . I'm retired so the traveling is not a problem.

Profile Email PM
norwood
 November 14 2017 10:15AM  

Do it. Find the place you can love every day thru the seasons. I would suggest a lake.
We have our place that's same drive time, drove it a hundred times, I'm still working for a couple of years.
If you go fishing you drive an hour set up, fish a while, eventually pack up drive home.
If you have a place you pull in set up what isn't ready, fish, get a cup of coffee, fish, take a piss, fish, take nap, fish, eat enjoying the view, fish. Clean fish, hunt for a change. Go to bed. Wake up the next morning in wonder how your so fortunate.
Repeat
Repeat
Repeat
Repeat
Go home mow the lawn, go back to your lake.

Profile Email PM
llewellinsetter
 November 14 2017 10:16AM  
Forum Senior Member

I've been there a handful of times with a buddy that has a lot there. The fishing is typical of a large Iowa farm pond some good days, some bad days. There is a variety of fish in there of typical Iowa species but there are some really big bass in there. It reminds me of Beaver Lake near Dexter.
Last time I was there was a few years back and the lake has a pretty bad erosion problem and was VERY silty. If you can get a cheap lot, it would be worth it as Rathbun is right down the road. If it's not so cheap, I think there would be better options.

And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.05 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 03:16 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.10 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com