Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
12/14/2017 @ 10:36 PM

Forum Index > Fishing > Trout Fishing New Topic Post Reply
 I vote C&R Only in all IA trout streams from last stocking to first stocking

|  Printable Version
llewellinsetter
 December 07 2017 02:15PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: mbchilton

@mhock- Our fishing license is a bargain, and I�d happily pay more like you. However, we�re in the minority. You want to see people get riled up, tell them the state is raising license fees. It�s stupid because the money goes directly to the DNR. By law, it�s not allowed to go into the general fund. We should all encourage every non-fisher or hunter we know to buy a license. The money supports programs like REAP that fund conservation projects across the state. Everyone benefits from that.

Every year I buy:
Fishing License, Trout Stamp, Hunting License, Habitat Stamp, State Waterfowl, Federal Waterfowl, Spring and fall Turkey Tags, 2 Archery Deer tags and 2 Gun Deer tags. I have a boat and trailer that I pay registration for, access stickers for, the ammo I buy is specially taxed, I purchase locally guns, fishing rods and reels, lures, flies, bait, clothing, camping spaces etc. I spend thousands on food, drink, and gas while supporting small towns all over the state. I give so much stinking money to the outdoors that outside of my mortgage it makes up the majority of my budget. I'm lucky too, I can afford to do all this and still be comfortable. A LOT of people CAN NOT.

I'm all for working towards better habitat be it fishing or hunting but the idea that I or anyone else should pay extra so a select group of people can get money for their special trout pet project which actually wants me to have less access is asinine. Either the State needs to better manage the funds they have, use funds from the general fund, mandate some farm spending to the habitat, or make sacrifices. Iowa has a severe money management problem and I'm not willing to keep giving them more just because they haven't learned to manage what they have.

Here's an idea for you guys that want us to give more, buy some land, spend the money on stream preservation and improvements and fish it. No doubt you can get TU to put in a bunch of $$ to protect your special private piece of enjoyment after all just like DU, they have a long history of doing so.

And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Profile Email PM
mbchilton
 December 07 2017 03:27PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: llewellinsetter

@mhock- Our fishing license is a bargain, and I�d happily pay more like you. However, we�re in the minority. You want to see people get riled up, tell them the state is raising license fees. It�s stupid because the money goes directly to the DNR. By law, it�s not allowed to go into the general fund. We should all encourage every non-fisher or hunter we know to buy a license. The money supports programs like REAP that fund conservation projects across the state. Everyone benefits from that.

Every year I buy:
Fishing License, Trout Stamp, Hunting License, Habitat Stamp, State Waterfowl, Federal Waterfowl, Spring and fall Turkey Tags, 2 Archery Deer tags and 2 Gun Deer tags. I have a boat and trailer that I pay registration for, access stickers for, the ammo I buy is specially taxed, I purchase locally guns, fishing rods and reels, lures, flies, bait, clothing, camping spaces etc. I spend thousands on food, drink, and gas while supporting small towns all over the state. I give so much stinking money to the outdoors that outside of my mortgage it makes up the majority of my budget. I'm lucky too, I can afford to do all this and still be comfortable. A LOT of people CAN NOT.

I'm all for working towards better habitat be it fishing or hunting but the idea that I or anyone else should pay extra so a select group of people can get money for their special trout pet project which actually wants me to have less access is asinine. Either the State needs to better manage the funds they have, use funds from the general fund, mandate some farm spending to the habitat, or make sacrifices. Iowa has a severe money management problem and I'm not willing to keep giving them more just because they haven't learned to manage what they have.

Here's an idea for you guys that want us to give more, buy some land, spend the money on stream preservation and improvements and fish it. No doubt you can get TU to put in a bunch of $$ to protect your special private piece of enjoyment after all just like DU, they have a long history of doing so.

You’re obviously clueless about how TU operates. They’re not the savior of our streams, but they’re a good organization.

Read my blog www.rodandrivet.com

Profile Email Website PM
llewellinsetter
 December 07 2017 03:53PM  
Forum Senior Member

@mhock- Our fishing license is a bargain, and I�¢ï¿½ï¿½d happily pay more like you. However, we�¢ï¿½ï¿½re in the minority. You want to see people get riled up, tell them the state is raising license fees. It�¢ï¿½ï¿½s stupid because the money goes directly to the DNR. By law, it�¢ï¿½ï¿½s not allowed to go into the general fund. We should all encourage every non-fisher or hunter we know to buy a license. The money supports programs like REAP that fund conservation projects across the state. Everyone benefits from that.

Every year I buy:

You�re obviously clueless about how TU operates. They�re not the savior of our streams, but they�re a good organization.

Clueless, no. I've been fly fishing for trout since 1988 in CO, MT, WY, CA, AR etc. and was a member of TU for over ten years. One thing is consistent, TU does what benefits the interest of TU, not the interest of anglers. If you want the fishing and hunting to keep going by way of a rich mans sport then by all means keep supporting TU.

It is possible however that you are choosing to be blind to the problems that TU has created out west with their pay for play stream management and ever changing access policies that cater to their top brass and donors. As it is, too many of TU members think that only their interests should be served as proven in this tread. It reminds me of a time I went to the NBTU meeting with a couple of my non-fly fishing friends and they were treated like lepers because they like to use powerbait and spinners. Not to mention TU's parallel stance with Patagonia and North Face against Trumps National Monument orders and of course their views on "global warming".

Profile Email PM
mbchilton
 December 07 2017 05:16PM  
Forum Senior Member

You’re so off base I can’t argue anymore, except to say I’m skeptical of your story about North Bear TU, and I can guarantee it didn’t happen in the last 5 years.

Profile Email Website PM
mhock
 December 07 2017 05:36PM  
Forum Senior Member

@mhock- Our fishing license is a bargain, and I���¢�¯�¿�½�¯�¿�½d happily pay more like you. However, we���¢�¯�¿�½�¯�¿�½re in the minority. You want to see people get riled up, tell them the state is raising license fees. It���¢�¯�¿�½�¯�¿�½s stupid because the money goes directly to the DNR. By law, it���¢�¯�¿�½�¯�¿�½s not allowed to go into the general fund. We should all encourage every non-fisher or hunter we know to buy a license. The money supports programs like REAP that fund conservation projects across the state. Everyone benefits from that.

Every year I buy:

You�re obviously clueless about how TU operates. They�re not the savior of our streams, but they�re a good organization.

Clueless, no. I've been fly fishing for trout since 1988 in CO, MT, WY, CA, AR etc. and was a member of TU for over ten years. One thing is consistent, TU does what benefits the interest of TU, not the interest of anglers. If you want the fishing and hunting to keep going by way of a rich mans sport then by all means keep supporting TU.

It is possible however that you are choosing to be blind to the problems that TU has created out west with their pay for play stream management and ever changing access policies that cater to their top brass and donors. As it is, too many of TU members think that only their interests should be served as proven in this tread. It reminds me of a time I went to the NBTU meeting with a couple of my non-fly fishing friends and they were treated like lepers because they like to use powerbait and spinners. Not to mention TU's parallel stance with Patagonia and North Face against Trumps National Monument orders and of course their views on "global warming".

You seem to have alot of knowledge so what changed after being a loyal member of TU that made you leave and take your support from them?

Genesis 9 : 1 - 3

Profile Email PM
llewellinsetter
 December 07 2017 07:07PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: mhock

@mhock- Our fishing license is a bargain, and I����¯�¿�½������¢������¯������¿������½������¯������¿������½d happily pay more like you. However, we����¯�¿�½������¢������¯������¿������½������¯������¿������½re in the minority. You want to see people get riled up, tell them the state is raising license fees. It����¯�¿�½������¢������¯������¿������½������¯������¿������½s stupid because the money goes directly to the DNR. By law, it����¯�¿�½������¢������¯������¿������½������¯������¿������½s not allowed to go into the general fund. We should all encourage every non-fisher or hunter we know to buy a license. The money supports programs like REAP that fund conservation projects across the state. Everyone benefits from that.

Every year I buy:

You���¢�¯�¿�½�¯�¿�½re obviously clueless about how TU operates. They���¢�¯�¿�½�¯�¿�½re not the savior of our streams, but they���¢�¯�¿�½�¯�¿�½re a good organization.

You seem to have alot of knowledge so what changed after being a loyal member of TU that made you leave and take your support from them?

They began using TU funds for restoration projects and then closing off the access to those streams to benefit their high dollar donors. They have since backed off this practice after a huge uproar in Montana but it's too little too late as far as I'm concerned.

Profile Email PM
llewellinsetter
 December 07 2017 07:14PM  
Forum Senior Member

You�re so off base I can�t argue anymore, except to say I�m skeptical of your story about North Bear TU, and I can guarantee it didn�t happen in the last 5 years.

You can be as skeptical as you like but you were there and I learned about it from you on this website, it was at Jasper Winery in DSM. My two buddies were so irritated and uncomfortable with the high snobbery we left in the middle of the film you were showing. They were trying to discuss with someone about areas of N. Bear but were basically laughed at when they said they didn't like to fly fish.

Profile Email PM
mbchilton
 December 07 2017 07:46PM  
Forum Senior Member

You�re so off base I can�t argue anymore, except to say I�m skeptical of your story about North Bear TU, and I can guarantee it didn�t happen in the last 5 years.

You can be as skeptical as you like but you were there and I learned about it from you on this website, it was at Jasper Winery in DSM. My two buddies were so irritated and uncomfortable with the high snobbery we left in the middle of the film you were showing. They were trying to discuss with someone about areas of N. Bear but were basically laughed at when they said they didn't like to fly fish.

That’s too bad if it happened because it’s not representative of TU or the leadership of the local chapter, but there were over 100 people at that event. Less than half were members. How can you blame TU? If it was a chapter leader, I’d appreciate a PM.

In regard to doing restoration work on private water, since I’ve been involved we cannot spend money on projects unless there is public access. It happened in the past, but it absolutely doesn’t now. In fact, Iowa chapters helped purchase a permanent public easement last year, and are actively working to acquire more.

Profile Email Website PM
LenH
 December 07 2017 08:11PM  
Forum Senior Member

read the entire thread....
different state...
same nonsense.

Profile Email PM
stick500
 December 09 2017 01:15PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I got a quick and lengthy response from one of the managers of the Manchester hatchery.

He reminded me that they've tried some various C&R/artificial strategies at streams throughout NE IA over the years and have been able to evaluate the results.

In fact, he reports that in '90-'91 (I wasn't around these years) Upper Swiss Valley was C&R only with artificials and they found that the stocked trout tended to move out of the park over time and angling days were down so it was discontinued.

He also told me about the expanded opportunities to catch wild browns and brooks in the winter.

I was very satisfied with his response and he concluded that he will share and keep my suggestions on hand.

Thanks to you guys for your input as well! I gave the DNR guy the link to this thread so he could see how it was playing out with some fellow anglers.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.16 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 10:36 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.20 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com