Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
12/14/2017 @ 10:34 PM

Forum Index > Hunting > Deer Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 Rifle Suggestions

|  Printable Version
IowaSportsmanGuy
 December 06 2017 08:37PM  

Dave,

Post at your local range or gun club or store that your son would like to try shooting different rounds for recoil. If you pay for ammunition, the hunting community seems really helpful. Our local range rents a few guns but not really hunting rifles. You can find out what your son can handle in terms of recoil without taking the $200 hit in depreciation if the recoil is too strong.

If you post on here, people would probably be willing to help. My recommendation would be pistol cartridges like the 357 mag, 44 mag or 45 Colt. All of those will be available at the local sporting good stores if you forget or drop the ammo. The recoil will be light, similar to .223 Rem, allowing your son to develop good shooting habits. A proper fitting rifle will make a big difference in the felt recoil. I bought a used stock on ebay to cut down and fit for LOP.

For lever guns, the Marlin lever series is a good mix of affordable and reliable. Avoid the Rossi lever rifles for your first field gun. I've had zero problems with the three I've owned but there are a lot of negative reviews. I'd hate to see your sons first hunt spoiled by a locked up rifle. The Rossi Wizard single shots are very affordable and reliable. You can swap barrels in 30 seconds for a stronger cartridge and all I've shot have been 1.5" or less at 75 yards.

The optic depends on your sons size, your idea of ethical distance, your hunting conditions. Can you and your son use the same rifle with LOP and eye relief for the scope? Do you have the shooting skills to ethically place a shot at distances that require a scope? Does the terrain you hunt allow open areas where you can take a shot at such a distance? Does the cartridge you chose have the power to ethically take deer at that distance? Can your son handle the recoil of the rifle without getting scope bit? Can your son hold the rifle at shoulder with the added optic weight again and again if the deer moves?

Profile Email PM
IAMike
 December 06 2017 08:40PM  

Quote by: speng5

Quote by: IAMike

Quote by: speng5

In the same boat as you, definitely not a rifle guy myself either. Like you I've owned .22's and years ago I had a .223. Due to hardly ever using it (few times a year) I ended up selling it.

Laugh if you want but I bought a Marlin 1895 in .45-70. Reason being I want to get into reloading and I have seen in my research that .45-70 is an excellent load for reloaders and very versatile. You can down load it for youth to take deer easily and without much recoil, or you can load it hot for just about any big game there is. I figure it will be nice to have for the prospect of a bear or hog hunt sometime. I also like the availability of ammo in general. I am a poor planner and forgetful at times so its nice to shoot a round I can pick up at most any sporting goods or hardware store.

I had heard great things about the Hornady Leverevolution, so I picked up some boxes of it. I was shooting the 250 gr MonoFlex to get the feel of the gun and since I didn't know what to expect in
terms of recoil I figured on trying that before moving up to 325, 350 gr or higher. The 250 was not bad at all. Way softer than any shotgun shooting a slug and this is without any recoil pad or anything. Shoots pretty flat out to well past 100 supposedly though since I have open sights for now, I never tried it out that far. I could have shot it all day and not had a sore shoulder. I am an idiot when it comes to rifles and sighting in (partially why I don't own the .223 anymore) so imagine my pleasant surprise when I was shooting a 2.5" group at about 95 yards with open sights after a couple handfuls of shots. It's a simple gun that shoots a simple round. I like simplicity in a rifle due to my inexperience.

I probably won't ever put a true scope on it but have entertained the thought of a red dot just to turn it into a real tack driver at 100 and possibly extend my range a bit further. Where and how I hunt rarely leave me a shot opportunity longer than 125 or 150 anyway so not like I'm really missing out.

Also since it is a large heavy and relatively slow moving bullet, you are most often left with a very clean wound channel without an exaggerated exit wound blowout and a ton of blood shot meat. You can eat right up to the hole in most cases. Excellent penetration especially on a deer.

Last but not least I just like the dang gun. I'm a sucker for older firearms so a Marlin lever action just seemed freakin cool and now that they are legal I have an excuse to own one Cool Price wasn't awful. I got the 1895 with a 22" barrel instead of the 1895G with the 18" barrel. I think both could be had for around $600. You move up a couple "trim packages" (i'm not sure what the levels of bells and whistles are called) and you get a nicer finish, I think some hold 10 rounds instead of mine that holds 4, etc, but the price jumps QUICK. For what I got and paid I am pleased, as it aims and points nicely and isn't ungodly heavy as far as guns go.

I dont know age/size of your son but if he can handle a shotgun or muzzy he could handle the .45-70 250 gr with ease. Maybe even the 325's. With enough range time and decent optics, and a rangefinder (unless you're real sharp at judging distance) I don't see why it couldn't be a decent 125-150 yard gun as long as you understand the drop and ballistics.

I will say if you want to become a real sharpshooter or take real long shots there are certainly better options out there.

To my understanding a 250 grain bullet would have the same recoil as a 400 grain bullet because the have the same powder charge. The grain refers to the bullet size. Someone please correct me if I�m wrong.

That is true although for the ammo choices I was looking at (granted the place I was only had like 2 choices of bullet and one choice between those of grain), the packaging indicated the 350 and higher grains had a higher velocity out the muzzle and less drop downrange. At the time I assumed that was due to a different powder charge? But I could very well be wrong on that. I assumed to get a heavier round traveling faster with less drop at the same range it would take more powder, which I did attribute to recoil. Again maybe that isn't what is making the difference.[/p

I’m pretty sure the 250 and 325 have they same powder charge. It’s has to do with Newton’s first law of motion: a object in motion stays in motion. The heavier grain bullets have less drop because the bullet carries more momentum.

Profile Email PM
nielsmag
 December 06 2017 09:33PM  

Which seasons would you be able to use a rifle such as the Ruger American 450 bushmaster?

Profile Email PM
topH20terror
 December 06 2017 09:36PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: nielsmag

Which seasons would you be able to use a rifle such as the Ruger American 450 bushmaster?

Gun season 1 or 2. Today was the last day for season 1. This Saturday is the start of season 2.

Fish...Hunt...Eat...Sleep / Independent...Veteran...Atheist...Family Man

Profile Email PM
oldstylelight
 December 07 2017 10:02AM  
Forum Senior Member

Thanks to all for the replies. All good thoughts and suggestions (except the AR Smile )

Can't wait to get a new toy.

Profile Email PM
3.5 tens
 December 07 2017 05:19PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I'm confused.............................is the 30-30 not a gun that can be used??????

no man is closer to the beginning of all things than when he is familiar with a marsh.

Profile Email Website PM
IowaSportsmanGuy
 December 07 2017 06:37PM  

Quote by: 3.5+tens

I'm confused.............................is the 30-30 not a gun that can be used??????

No, it is not legal. The 30-30 is not a straight wall cartridge, there is a step-down in the case making it an illegal cartridge for deer in Iowa.

Profile Email PM
ECFirearms
 December 08 2017 10:23AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: 3.5+tens

see the approved list here:
http://www.iowadnr.gov/About-DNR/DNR-News-Releases/ArticleID/1624/New-law-allows-approved-pistol-cartridges-for-use-in-rifles-to-hunt-deer

"Second Amendment - Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?" -- IAShooters

Profile Email Website PM
nater3
 December 08 2017 02:19PM  
Forum Senior Member

I bought a Henry Big Boy Steel in 44 mag that I am going to use this weekend, but am currently working on putting together a .50 Beowulf for the future. Not sure I will use it on deer, but gives me a reason to buy one!

Profile Email PM
Mr.Seaguar
 December 08 2017 03:19PM  
Forum Senior Member

The Beowulf has a weird looking case. I find them at the range occasionally. Looks like you could stick your thumb down it.

A noble Spirit embiggens the smallest Man

Profile Email PM
llewellinsetter
 December 08 2017 03:41PM  
Forum Senior Member

As a side note to the rifle choice...how do you guys feel about using an AR with a 30 round mag? I'm all for the use of rifles and would even like to see it expanded to allow more calibers in some zones, but I'm definitely for a magazine restriction as well, especially on semi-autos.

And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Profile Email PM
maxx
 December 08 2017 03:55PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: llewellinsetter

As a side note to the rifle choice...how do you guys feel about using an AR with a 30 round mag? I'm all for the use of rifles and would even like to see it expanded to allow more calibers in some zones, but I'm definitely for a magazine restriction as well, especially on semi-autos.

Meh I don't really have a problem with it.

Very few times it will make a huge difference. After a few shots the deer are going to be gone anyway. I have hunted with a AR in WI before and I don't think I have ever loaded more than 7-8 rounds.

There were things he could do without declared Reed. "Steaks that don't bleed. Coffee with cream. Guys who don't swear. Boots that leak. Wild animals in cages. Bears trained to do tricks. Cheese that has no smell." Jay Reed

Profile Email PM
robert1976
 December 09 2017 12:30PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: llewellinsetter

The legal calibers that can be had in an AR won't allow for a 30rd capacity due to size, unless you want to make some custom mag that hangs way below the rifle. A .450 Bushmaster will give you 11rds in a 30rd 5.56 mag and I believe 7rds in a 20rd 5.56 mag. Depending on barrel and mag length some leverguns will allow more capacity than an AR and can be fired just about as fast in the right hands.

Profile Email PM
Mr.Seaguar
 December 09 2017 02:12PM  
Forum Senior Member

I'm fine with 30 round magazines, in an AR or any other semi-auto. I'm fine with 100 round magazines. I've been there when you wish you had more shells in the gun, this would end that.

A noble Spirit embiggens the smallest Man

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 December 09 2017 06:53PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Waiting to see Orange army with Siaga with 30 round drums.

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
oldstylelight
 December 12 2017 01:52PM  
Forum Senior Member

Just "pulled the trigger" on a marlin lever action .44 mag. I think it will make me happy for a couple decades.

Profile Email PM
CRIA1576
 December 12 2017 10:44PM  
Regular Contributor

Congratulations on your new gun purchase! The Marlin should give you decades of service and be an absolute blast to shoot.

My 10 year old daughter killed her first deer tonight with the CVA Hunter in .44 mag, and I will be starting a new thread with some pictures tomorrow. She dropped him stone dead at 50 yards with a perfect double lung shot, just like we practiced. Big Grin
The 240 grain Federal JHP left a caliber size entry wound, smashed a couple ribs, pulverized the lungs, and left an exit wound just shy of an inch in diameter. I found one small bullet fragment about 1/2' long stuck to the edge of the exit wound, and judging by the carnage in the chest cavity most of the energy was deposited in the deer prior to exit.

Joel Johnson

Profile Email PM
Whip
 December 13 2017 10:05AM  
Forum Senior Member

Nice option with a .44 mag would be the ability to start a young shooter out with .44 specials to do some practice and then step up to the 44 mag for hunting.

Profile Email PM
Brad Phillips
 December 13 2017 06:23PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: oldstylelight

Just "pulled the trigger" on a marlin lever action .44 mag. I think it will make me happy for a couple decades.

Fine choice Big Grin

PAhntr760 "Ain't no free lunch internet answer gonna answer that"

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.56 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 10:34 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.60 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com