Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
12/14/2017 @ 10:34 PM

Forum Index > Hunting > Deer Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 DNR check on suppressor while deer hunting

|  Printable Version
TrapCyclone
 December 06 2017 11:19AM (Read 1393 times)  
Forum Senior Member

I received the message below from the Iowa Firearms Coalition (IFC) and was quite surprised. Apparently a CO was checking a deer hunter who had a suppressed rifle in a legal caliber and, as stated in the release, the "DNR Conservation Officer [has] asserted authority to seize a suppressor if the possessor can’t prove legal possession by presenting a Form 4 with a tax stamp affixed"!! According to the IFC neither state nor federal law actually require that proof of ownership of the suppressor be presented. They are, however, suggesting that you bring a copy of your Form 4 with you just to be on the safe side.

I find this to be a bit perplexing as I would have thought that reducing noise pollution while hunting is a good thing. So it seems odd for there to be so much hoopla over the use of a suppressor while hunting here in Iowa.

http://iowafc.org/news/

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
maxx
 December 06 2017 11:43AM  
Forum Senior Member

Why does this surprise you? I would argue more LEO's don't know suppressor laws than ones that do.

I was going to WI to hunt. I don't get into the details but I made a few calls to inquire about using a suppressor. I was told they are illegal to own by one agency. I reassured them that you could indeed own one.

There were things he could do without declared Reed. "Steaks that don't bleed. Coffee with cream. Guys who don't swear. Boots that leak. Wild animals in cages. Bears trained to do tricks. Cheese that has no smell." Jay Reed

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 December 06 2017 05:23PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: maxx

Why does this surprise you? I would argue more LEO's don't know suppressor laws than ones that do.

I was going to WI to hunt. I don't get into the details but I made a few calls to inquire about using a suppressor. I was told they are illegal to own by one agency. I reassured them that you could indeed own one.

I am not a expert on NFA, but crossing state lines can be sticky. Interstate travel vs going to another state to visit may be viewed differently by the feds.

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
maxx
 December 06 2017 09:46PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: kenhump

I am not a expert on NFA, but crossing state lines can be sticky. Interstate travel vs going to another state to visit may be viewed differently by the feds.

Hence why I was calling ahead I believe you are ok see link.

https://www.esilencers.com/process-transporting-nfa-item-across-state-lines/

The problem was the local department flat out said suppressor are illegal in the US.

There were things he could do without declared Reed. "Steaks that don't bleed. Coffee with cream. Guys who don't swear. Boots that leak. Wild animals in cages. Bears trained to do tricks. Cheese that has no smell." Jay Reed

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 December 06 2017 10:10PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: kenhump

Hence why I was calling ahead I believe you are ok see link.

https://www.esilencers.com/process-transporting-nfa-item-across-state-lines/

The problem was the local department flat out said suppressor are illegal in the US.

Ya I got that. I had a sheriff's deputy , giving a weapons carry , class tell us we had to store weapon and ammo separately. Duh
Sometimes new concepts take a while to filter down thru the food chain.

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
llewellinsetter
 December 07 2017 08:58AM  
Forum Senior Member

Interesting advise considering this from the ATF...

Does the possessor of an NFA firearm have to show proof of registration?

Yes. The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm. This document must be made available upon request of any ATF officer. It is suggested that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the possessor when the weapon is being transported.

[26 U.S.C. 5841(e); 27 CFR 478.101]

And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 December 07 2017 09:51AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: llewellinsetter

Interesting advise considering this from the ATF...

Does the possessor of an NFA firearm have to show proof of registration?

Yes. The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm. This document must be made available upon request of any ATF officer. It is suggested that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the possessor when the weapon is being transported.

[26 U.S.C. 5841(e); 27 CFR 478.101]

I don't know if this is a distinction, but it looks like this FAQ references a "NFA firearm" rather than a 'NFA item" or "NFA suppressor." A suppressor is not a firearm. It also says the document must be made available to an "ATF officer." Again, I am not sure if this is a distinction, but I don't think local police and CO's are normally considered to be "ATF officers." I am not a lawyer and this isn't legal advice, but I would think that the IFC would do their homework before sending out this kind of news release. Even so, it is a good idea to carry copies of the required documentation with you for these kind of items.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.34 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 10:34 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.38 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com