Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
12/14/2017 @ 10:37 PM

Forum Index > Hunting > Deer Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 Hunting Organizations

|  Printable Version
jrbert
 December 06 2017 01:15PM (Read 657 times)  

I'm looking to join a hunting/sportsman organization, but not sure which one(s).

Any thoughts? Whitetails Unlimited? NRA? Boone and Crockett Club? Pheasants Forever?

Thanks,
Jerry

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 December 06 2017 01:25PM  
Forum Senior Member

What are you most passionate about and want to support with your dollars? I am very high on Pheasants Forever, partially because I enjoy pheasant hunting and also because a very large percentage of the money that they receive goes towards habitat improvements rather than overhead costs.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
firepoggy
 December 06 2017 01:26PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Why not join them all?

I would put your money where you feel it would benefit the most. Since I enjoy turkey hunting the majority of my funds and time are spent with the NWTF. I have done whitetails unlimited and pheasants forever in the past also.

All good organizations.

Profile Email PM
ECFirearms
 December 06 2017 03:28PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: jrbert

I'm looking to join a hunting/sportsman organization, but not sure which one(s).

Any thoughts? Whitetails Unlimited? NRA? Boone and Crockett Club? Pheasants Forever?

Thanks,
Jerry

NRA and IFC for sure to protect your gun rights so you have the tools you want to use to go hunting.
Any of the other organizations that coincide with your hunting passions.

"Second Amendment - Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?" -- IAShooters

Profile Email Website PM
Wapsi Willy
 December 06 2017 05:42PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I would suggest you check the organization's track record regarding where their money goes. You may find that some organizations' dues and funds end up in executive salaries and not where you might expect?

Regardless, there are countless clubs and organizations with numerous special interests available.

"That's gonna leave a mark!!"

Profile Email PM
ddoyle
 December 06 2017 08:34PM  
Regular Contributor

I was a big fan of Pheasants Forever....but the last couple of years it seemed their focus had moved from what the members could do for habitat to lobbying the government. I understand CRP is huge etc.... just seems to me we should be focusing more on private.

ddoyle

Profile Email PM
jrbert
 December 06 2017 08:55PM  

Yeah, that's part of my concern is too much lobbying. I'm leaning toward Whitetails Unlimited and Boone and Crockett.

Profile Email PM
llewellinsetter
 December 06 2017 09:14PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: ddoyle

I was a big fan of Pheasants Forever....but the last couple of years it seemed their focus had moved from what the members could do for habitat to lobbying the government. I understand CRP is huge etc.... just seems to me we should be focusing more on private.

This is one of the major complaints against PF and DU...to much funding and energy goes to help private entities when it's funded mostly by people that hunt public. It goes along with the same thing as the trout thread, when people support things that benefit us all there is a lot of support and a lot of funding, when it becomes focused on special interests it loses support and funding which benefits no one except those running the group.

That said, RMEF, NWTF, SCI and the Ruffed Grouse Society all have a solid reputation.

And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Profile Email PM
speng5
 December 06 2017 09:30PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: llewellinsetter

Quote by: ddoyle

This is one of the major complaints against PF and DU...to much funding and energy goes to help private entities when it's funded mostly by people that hunt public. It goes along with the same thing as the trout thread, when people support things that benefit us all there is a lot of support and a lot of funding, when it becomes focused on special interests it loses support and funding which benefits no one except those running the group.

That said, RMEF, NWTF, SCI and the Ruffed Grouse Society all have a solid reputation.

I’m generally pleased with the way NWTF operates.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
iamike304
 December 07 2017 03:47PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Quote by: jrbert

Yeah, that's part of my concern is too much lobbying. I'm leaning toward Whitetails Unlimited and Boone and Crockett.

Where are you located? Boone and Crockett and Pope and Young are great organizations for hunting. Reason I ask you location is I am a measurer for both organizations, and I can talk with you a bit about them, and possibly measure any animals you may have and have an interest in scoring!

Profile Email PM
Wapsi Willy
 December 07 2017 05:47PM  
Regular Contributor

Sometimes the nation wide associations have local chapters, which I believe offer more noticeable benefits.
As an example, I was told by a local chapter president,That you may join the Izaak Walton League either locally or the national organization. If you join the national, you don't necessarily have any rights to local chapter benefits such as ranges or fishing.

I am just passing on what I have been told.

"That's gonna leave a mark!!"

Profile Email PM
huntingirl
 December 07 2017 06:37PM  
Forum Senior Member

Consider Ducks Unlimited; there are many local chapters in Iowa. Feel free to reach out to me and I can track down an area chair for a chapter that would be local to you. Beyond monetary donations Volunteers are essential to the success of not only the chapter but the state and national levels as well. 83% of DU expenditures are in conservation work last year, 14% in fundraising and development and only 3% towards administrative (aka salaries) and that number holds pretty steady at that for all the years I have been involved. Yes they do participate in lobby efforts; I feel lobbying is essential especially in Iowa where the water quality is an issue.

Grassroots dollars raised last year in Iowa (through events held by DU Chapters): $1,352,038 that is money raised in events planned and executed completely by volunteers. I do not recall the number that DU actually spent on projects last year; I do know it is more than what was raised. The second page of this document will show you the public lands that DU has worked in Iowa. http://www.ducks.org/media/_global/_documents/stateFactSheets/Iowa.pdf?r=85284

Nice thing about working with an organization that national is they can cultivate and partner with big donors like Wells Fargo http://www.ducks.org/conservation/glar/iowa/wells-fargo-du-to-improve-iowa-water-quality?poe=iowaHome

Iowa DU page: http://www.ducks.org/iowa[/url}<br /> <br /> For DU's financial accountability information: [url]http://www.ducks.org/About-Ducks-Unlimited/Ducks-Unlimited-Financial-Information/DUs-Financial-Accountability

No longer an active Moderator; I still remove SPAM and take care of the occasional post; please contact patrick or another Admin/Mod with your questions/needs. Thank you.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.13 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 10:37 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.17 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com