Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
12/14/2017 @ 10:40 PM

Forum Index > Hunting > Deer Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 lost deer

|  Printable Version
dgrasso
 December 06 2017 05:49PM (Read 2033 times)  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

SO I WAS WONDERING TONIGHT, WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF I WOULD SHOOT A DEER CLOSE TO SUNSET, AND COULDN'T FIND IT. I GO OUT IN THE MORNING TO TRY AND FIND IT, AND BUMP IT. I HAVE TO LET A INJURED DEER TURN IN TO COYOTE FOOD ? I COULDN'T FINISH IT OFF BECAUSE THE SEASON IS CLOSED, IS THIS CORRECT. BECAUSE IT WOULD BE PERCEIVED BY SOME THAT I WAS STILL HUNTING CORRECT ?

To hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.

Profile Email PM
Wapsi Willy
 December 06 2017 05:52PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I believe you are correct in your assumption.

"That's gonna leave a mark!!"

Profile Email PM
bwhntr33
 December 06 2017 06:26PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

We might be spoiled up here, but I know the local co will go with and verify the hit and help guys try to recover the day after season closes. If he gets tied up he asks that he is kept updated. Most of the dnr guys are more than willing to help, people need to ask and try not to circumvent the law.

Profile Email PM
speng5
 December 06 2017 06:46PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: bwhntr33

We might be spoiled up here, but I know the local co will go with and verify the hit and help guys try to recover the day after season closes. If he gets tied up he asks that he is kept updated. Most of the dnr guys are more than willing to help, people need to ask and try not to circumvent the law.

And then what, if it’s still alive? CO puts it down for you? Interesting conundrum, never though of this happening but I’m sure it does all the time.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
SR Dave
 December 06 2017 06:47PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: bwhntr33

I agree a "recovery" effort while accompanied by the local CO would be acceptable DNR practice. Not sure this would include using a weapon to put down a wounded yet still fleeing deer.

Profile Email PM
Drahts
 December 06 2017 08:25PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: dgrasso

SO I WAS WONDERING TONIGHT, WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF I WOULD SHOOT A DEER CLOSE TO SUNSET, AND COULDN'T FIND IT. I GO OUT IN THE MORNING TO TRY AND FIND IT, AND BUMP IT. I HAVE TO LET A INJURED DEER TURN IN TO COYOTE FOOD ? I COULDN'T FINISH IT OFF BECAUSE THE SEASON IS CLOSED, IS THIS CORRECT. BECAUSE IT WOULD BE PERCEIVED BY SOME THAT I WAS STILL HUNTING CORRECT ?

As long as you stop typing in all caps, do whatever you want. Man that shit is annoying.

But no more than the daily spam.

But yes... deer season ends when deer season ends. Wink

"there will come a time when the gun owners of America, the law-abiding gun owners of America, will be the Rosa Parks and we will sit down on the front seat of the bus, case closed." Ted Nugent

Profile Email PM
dgrasso
 December 06 2017 09:56PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: Drahts

Quote by: dgrasso

As long as you stop typing in all caps, do whatever you want. Man that shit is annoying.

But no more than the daily spam.

But yes... deer season ends when deer season ends. Wink [

OH OK I will make it small, just easier to read capitalized Oops!

To hell with them fellas. Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 December 06 2017 10:16PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

OK. Asked and answered. FWIW Years ago all teletype, telegraph AND computers were caps. Ya, I'm that old. Wink

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
berettadouble
 December 07 2017 10:13AM  

Even if CO said "tough crap", for me that would be a case where legal and ethical don't line up and I go with ethical.

Profile Email PM
mhock
 December 07 2017 10:49AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: berettadouble

Even if CO said "tough crap", for me that would be a case where legal and ethical don't line up and I go with ethical.

X2... at the very least you go look unarmd. Nothing illegal about that. If you bump thedeer th next day and it appears to be ok, it will probably live. If you find the deer and it's dying and sufferring, you call the CO and explain the situation. Pretty simple.

Genesis 9 : 1 - 3

Profile Email PM
CRIA1576
 December 07 2017 11:21AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Agreed. No different than somebody finding a crippled/suffering deer bird hunting and having CO or Deputy finish it and issue salvage tag.

Joel Johnson

Profile Email PM
Larry Richard
 December 07 2017 01:47PM  
Forum Senior Member

legal, ethical can cost. a few yrs ago, a fleeing buck ran onto the ice and into a path cut by duck hunter's boat. after watching it struggle for an hour, our crew which was boat equipped to exit the lake point motored out and reduced the exhausted buck to bag from a stationary boat. a concerned local citizen turned us in to TIP, and hours later a ticket was issued because we had used a motor to go to the deer. Oars were too wide to get into the water, and I am sure the animal would have succumbed had we towed him to shore and tried to release. We ponied up the fine for the infraction and thanked the concerned individual for his interest in our business, in that we knew he hunted the same area the next season. doc

How come there is never time enough to do things right when there is always time to do it over again? doc

Profile Email PM
IaCraig
 December 07 2017 03:24PM  
Forum Senior Member

This is an isolated case, but it might give you some idea where you stand.

A few years back my cousin arrowwed a decent buck on the last night before 1st slug season. He bumped the deer that night and knew it ran into the next section. So he called the game warden to see if he could trail it in the morning and put his bow tag on it even though bow season was closed. The warden told him that if it died from the arrow then yes he could, but if it was still alive it was fair game for the slug hunters. My cousin did find the deer dead at 1st light. I believe the game warden even met him at the river that morning to see how it went.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.23 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 10:40 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.28 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com