Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
01/22/2018 @ 12:03 PM

Forum Index > Fishing > Ice Fishing New Topic Post Reply
 Iowa City Ice fishing

|  Printable Version
Skifish1
 January 10 2018 09:18PM (Read 1004 times)  

Visiting my daughter at U of I this weekend I'd like to sneak out and pop a few holes and dip some waxies for panfish, perhaps setup a tipup also. I could only give it a go for 2-3 hours and looking at google maps the nearby prospects look limited. I see a lake on east bank of Iowa River on SE side of the Rt6 bridge does anybody know if that holds fish and can be accessed? I see a park with a lake next to the Coralville Costco (Ewalt Rec Area).....I know wife/kid will be filling carts and spending all my hard earned money at the Costco and Walmart there anybody know if that holds panfish?

I know Macbride holds fish of course but for a short outing I'd like to stay closer to I.C. and hit a smaller body of water.

Thanks in advance!

Profile Email PM
IA 9249 AY
 January 10 2018 09:32PM  
Forum Senior Member

North Liberty also has several ponds where fishing is allowed. I have never fished them.

http://northlibertyiowa.org/city-services/recreation-department/parks-trails-and-green-spaces/

Profile Email PM
eme2262
 January 11 2018 07:59AM  

thanks for sharing the link to the NL ponds, been looking for the this information. Much appreciated.

Profile Email PM
kskoff
 January 11 2018 08:06AM  

I assume the lake on the East bank of the Iowa River you are talking about is Terry Trueblood (linked a google map below to confirm). I fish it a couple of times a year with limited success. They stock trout in it late fall and you can usually pick up a couple of them every trip. I have never had a lot of luck with panfish through the ice. Admittedly, I have not spent a ton of time on the lake. I usually only go there when I have a couple of hours to kill as it is close to my house. It is an old sand pit so I haven't found much in terms of features that would hold fish. Again, I have not put a lot of time scouting it. I only seem to catch fish that are cruising. It seems that ice fisherman prefer the west side of the NW quadrant. I have heard stories of nice crappie and bluegills in there but I haven't been able to find them.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6290832,-91.5255271,14.5z

I have never fished Ewalt, but my buddy has open water fished it and says there are decent bluegills in it.

I think if you want a quick ice fishing fix, both places would be give you that. Both have easy access and will get you fishing quickly.

Good Luck

Profile Email PM
speng5
 January 11 2018 11:55AM  
Forum Senior Member

If you are talking southeast of the 6 bridge that is what’s left of an old resort pond. Right behind Hills Bank. It’s disgusting. It’s a real intriguing looking bit of water so I checked it out a few times. Given the nature of the banks it is almost unfishable 90% of the time. Loaded with garbage too. The hobos that camp in the woods throw stuff in there a lot. A couple years ago I saw a dead paddlefish floating after ice out and it was the biggest one I’d ever seen from an interior river.

Sand lake is interesting. Little of everything in there. Bass, panfish, trout and the occasional wiper or walleye from the river flooding. The wipers are real nice. I’ve caught some dandies out there. The previous poster is correct the NW area is best and is also deepest with the most structure and depth changes. Most of the lake is a bowl shaped 8 foot or less hole as it is an old sand pit. East side of the lake is dead except for when they turn the trout loose in there.

Waterworks pond up off Dubuque street could be an option. I have never ice fished it but there are some nice crappies in there. About a half mile further off dubuque onto oakdale, the development pond with the sidewalk is public.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
Skifish1
 January 11 2018 12:24PM  

Thanks for replies guys I have some options it seems. I will put the ice gear in car and hopefully I could sneak out to Ewalt or Newblood. If its windy I will look at options that may have some wooded shore wind protection.

I've stayed in N Liberty before and have done some open water casting at West Lakes without luck but I caught some surpisingly respectable bass out of a couple small ponds that may be considered industrial or office complex land off of Penn street. I believe there is some shelter on the far west lake of West lakes to get out of wind if necessary as I won't be bringing my shanty.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.13 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 12:03 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.17 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com