Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
01/22/2018 @ 11:55 AM

Forum Index > Hunting > Deer Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 Cold weather boots for walking in(long)

|  Printable Version
Steelheader
 January 12 2018 06:52AM (Read 1067 times)  

Greetings. New member here and looking for footwear recommendations for walking long distances in snow and sub freezing temps during January muzzle loader. I currently utilize a good fitting muck style boot from cabelas. 1200 grams I believe. Wondering what some of you ambitious type hunters are wearing into the deer woods in this type of weather and temps. I do use a mid weight merino wool sock and will on occasion use a wicking base sock as well. I am a Michigander coming out in March for some scouting and plan to put on some miles. I have been enjoying the forum Thanks in advance

Blessings

Steelheader

in church I think about white tails, when hunting white tails I think about God

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 January 12 2018 07:44AM  
Forum Senior Member

Whatever you are utilizing you need to make sure that your feet aren't sweating after a long walk in. I would pack a dry pair of socks if you plan to walk a long distance to hunt, once you got to your stand area you could put on a dry pair for your hunt. If you can walk long distances in your current boot you should be good.

If and when I plan to hunt Late Muzzle loader again it will be done in an enclosed blind.

What zone/area do you plan to hunt? Public ground?

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
Loomis13
 January 12 2018 07:57AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I know my feet would not make it after using 1200g boots. They would be soaked! For that reason, during late muzzy season, I wear 600g but 400g would probably be better and use boot blankets from arctic shield. These things are awesome. Just slip them on once at your stand! Then if it is really cold (like 10 or lower) I put a hand warmer in the boot blanket which makes the warmer outside of my boot.

Profile Email PM
Steelheader
 January 12 2018 07:58AM  

Public. And ready to go in deep if that’s where I need to be. Good call on the extra socks. I’m kinda a freak of nature, cold doesn’t bother me. I hunted -40 deg In northern Quebec for caribou in mid 90’s and it was awesome. Maybe it’s mind over matter, I had browning arctic style boots and were brutal on feet and rubbed my ankles almost raw. Keep em coming

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 January 12 2018 08:40AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Steelheader

Public. And ready to go in deep if that�s where I need to be. Good call on the extra socks. I�m kinda a freak of nature, cold doesn�t bother me. I hunted -40 deg In northern Quebec for caribou in mid 90�s and it was awesome. Maybe it�s mind over matter, I had browning arctic style boots and were brutal on feet and rubbed my ankles almost raw. Keep em coming

What zone do you plan on hunting?

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
jrbert
 January 12 2018 02:25PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

I walked a bit this past muzzy season and I wore 1000g Red Head boots from Bass Pro ($59 on sale), and were much better than one might expect for that price. Feet were comfortable and warm, but not sweaty. I went with the wide, too, for extra breathing and space with the thicker socks. They were the best article of clothing I wore this past muzzy season. The Red Head parka, however, has a lot to be desired.

Good luck!

Profile Email PM
Steelheader
 January 12 2018 04:26PM  

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Quote by: Steelheader

Public. And ready to go in deep if that�s where I need to be. Good call on the extra socks. I�m kinda a freak of nature, cold doesn�t bother me. I hunted -40 deg In northern Quebec for caribou in mid 90�s and it was awesome. Maybe it�s mind over matter, I had browning arctic style boots and were brutal on feet and rubbed my ankles almost raw. Keep em coming

What zone do you plan on hunting?

Zone 5. I’ve had enough satellite imagery analysis I could probably go work for the NSA, time for a few road trips with boots on the ground. I’m sure what I think I’m looking at could be quite the opposite.

Profile Email PM
BrownItsDown
 January 12 2018 08:43PM  
Forum Senior Member

If it's COLD, a long walk in, and u plan on sitting for an extended period of time... Wearing 1 pair of uninsulated hiking style boots in, and switching to a secondary warm pair of 'moon boots' once u r set, could be a feasible and economical option for u.

Profile Email PM
llewellinsetter
 January 12 2018 09:01PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: BrownItsDown

If it's COLD, a long walk in, and u plan on sitting for an extended period of time... Wearing 1 pair of uninsulated hiking style boots in, and switching to a secondary warm pair of 'moon boots' once u r set, could be a feasible and economical option for u.

X2. When walking to my stand depending on how much snow, I'll either wear liner socks and my hiking boots or uninsulated rubbers and put my 2400 gram pack boots and a pair of wool socks in my pack. More than anything feet get cold because they sweat. I've also used Arctic Shield boot blankets with some success. If you won't be stand hunting and doing more of a spot and stock hunt, I'd opt for a 400 gram boot like a Danner East Ridge or Santiam.

And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Profile Email PM
Steelheader
 January 12 2018 10:02PM  

thanks again for the the tips, planning for worse case scenario of going long. I’ll def look at the danners. here in central Michigan we typically do not have to go that far because many of us have small tracts of land, 100 yds or so to the heated blind.

Profile Email PM
stevenoak
 January 13 2018 10:02AM  
Forum Senior Member

If the walk isn't too long. I leave my boots in the back of the truck for the hour drive to where I hunt. Then put them on just before heading out. By the time I get to my blind. My feet are warmed up, but not sweating. If it is longer, I would go with the light/ heavy boot combo. Or some kind of over boot like arctic shield.

Profile Email PM
Whip
 January 13 2018 10:14PM  
Forum Senior Member

I bought a pair of Kennetrek Guide boots 400 grams insulated. My feet normally don't get cold as long as they stay dry. These boots combined with Outdoor Research gaiters have worked well for hunting here in Wyoming. Not -20 below boots but down to 0 they work well.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.96 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 11:55 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 1.00 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com