Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
02/18/2018 @ 12:36 AM

Forum Index > Hunting > Deer Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 Montana Hunt - NR application

|  Printable Version
bbwittnebel
 February 07 2018 09:46AM (Read 1477 times)  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Good Morning Forum:

I wasn't sure where to post this, so this was the best shot.

I have always wanted to take a trip out west, somewhere, to hunt elk. Last year i finally got my stuff together and applied for a NR Elk Combo tag to Montana. Specifically I applied to unit 798-20. I did not draw but have since gained a preference point. I am going to apply again this year, so i am looking for any advice that this group has. Here is what i am looking for.

I am by no means looking for a trophy or monster, or next world breaking record elk. This for me is probably a 1 or 2x thing, so i am going with the intention of having fun and enjoying the moment. I would be happy with a spike bull. I would be applying for the rifle season in hopes of increasing my chances. I will be shooting a Browning A-Bolt 30-06 with a Leupold 3x9. I would probably even be happy with harvesting a cow elk to have it be a success.

I am up for discussion on purchasing a new rifle, possible 308 if that makes sense.

I am open to DIY type of stuff, or looking for a reasonable outfitter. This is my "first" out of state hunt and for a game other than whitetail deer. I would like to go in the fall of 2018, so i have a little bit of time to prepare and get ready.

I have a friend that went out of 7V Ranch in Jordan Montana. He said that it was good and would go back. I am interested in any other reviews that you guys had and maybe other possible suggestions.

I don't get on here all that much, but will try to do so more. If you got any helpful advice, feel free to shoot me an email. BBWITTNEBEL@UWALUMNI.COM

Thanks in advance for the advice and support!

-Brad

On WISCONSIN! GO Badgers!

Profile Email PM
llewellinsetter
 February 07 2018 09:53AM  
Forum Senior Member

FWIW, if you just want to experience Elk hunting skip Montana and go to Colorado, especially if you are doing a DIY hunt. You could go twice for what it costs to go to Montana and have a significantly better chance of getting an elk. Bigger elk in Montana but way more opportunities in Colorado. Don't get me wrong, Montana is awesome for many things, my BIL lives in Corvalis just off the Bitterroot Range and love it there, but the elk herd is not doing well and they are not very NR hunter friendly.

And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Profile Email PM
jnrbronc
 February 07 2018 10:05AM  
Regular Contributor

I'd save my money and stick with the '06 over buying a .308 (as long as the '06 is a decent shooter).

When I was going out west elk hunting, never applied for Montana or Colorado. Drew once in New Mexico and twice in Wyoming, archery elk. Took a cow in New Mexico on my first elk hunt. Only opportunity I had of the three trips.

I've stopped applying now, walked away from points in Wy and Az. Good luck on your hunt, I enjoyed my trips.

Profile Email PM
Whip
 February 07 2018 10:14AM  
Forum Senior Member

Its to late to apply for a nonresident elk in Wyoming this year but its still open to apply for deer and antelope. Here is a link to the Wyoming Hunt Planner tool from the Wyoming Game and Fish.
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/hunting/hunt-planner

Profile Email PM
Mr.Seaguar
 February 07 2018 11:11AM  
Forum Senior Member

The Colorado parks and wildlife website is a form of madness. Seriously, it's a mess.

Your rifle is fine for elk. The bullet is the important part. Make sure you use one that is good for elk.

Might be too late to apply but it's not too late to buy a point for WY. And leftover tags are often available.

A noble Spirit embiggens the smallest Man

Profile Email PM
Whip
 February 08 2018 12:48PM  
Forum Senior Member

Wyoming does have left over tags primarily for cow elk. If there are leftover any sex or antlered elk tags its more than likely in an area with little public access. Personally I prefer to shoot a cow elk for eating. You don't have the rack to show off but much better table fare. As for deer tags Western Wyoming had a really tough winter last year and the deer herd suffered and will be rebuilding for a couple of years. Still the biggest bucks will be harvested in that area but they will be few and far between for a couple of years due to the lost of nearly all the young deer last year. The rest of the state will be normal for deer and antelope.

Profile Email PM
Mr.Seaguar
 February 08 2018 01:52PM  
Forum Senior Member

In a state like WY, when they say little public access they mean relative to other areas. I bought a tag in an area last year that said that and there were antelope on public land everywhere you looked.

Profile Email PM
llewellinsetter
 February 08 2018 02:59PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Mr.Seaguar

In a state like WY, when they say little public access they mean relative to other areas. I bought a tag in an area last year that said that and there were antelope on public land everywhere you looked.

But did you see any elk or elk habitat in that area? Huge difference, especially in Wyoming.

And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Profile Email PM
iamike304
 February 08 2018 09:00PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

The Colorado parks and wildlife website is a form of madness. Seriously, it's a mess.

Your rifle is fine for elk. The bullet is the important part. Make sure you use one that is good for elk.

Might be too late to apply but it's not too late to buy a point for WY. And leftover tags are often available.

Yes, Its way too late to buy a point for WY. That ended Sep 30 2017.

Profile Email PM
Mr.Seaguar
 February 08 2018 09:31PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: iamike304

You mean you can't buy a 2017 point in 2018? What a crazy idea.

Profile Email PM
Whip
 February 08 2018 10:54PM  
Forum Senior Member

Walk in areas are in nearly all counties and offer access for all species including elk. You will need to research the PLPW section of the Wyoming Game and Fish website and see what is available.

Profile Email PM
jnrbronc
 February 09 2018 08:03AM  
Regular Contributor

A nonresident hunter in WY should be aware that they are not allowed to go into Wilderness Areas without a guide. Very stupid regulation, IMO.

Profile Email PM
Whip
 February 09 2018 01:23PM  
Forum Senior Member

The ban on nonresidents hunting the wilderness without guide was a concession to the outfitters from the legislature. I agree its not a good law. If you can find a resident to go along they can get a free guide license for up to two hunters at a time.

Profile Email PM
teton
 February 09 2018 05:27PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Whip, where and how does a Wyoming resident get a free guide license?

Profile Email PM
Whip
 February 09 2018 07:18PM  
Forum Senior Member

Here you go Teton

From Game and Fish Regulation:

Any resident possessing a valid resident big or trophy game animal license may apply for and receive a
resident guide license. The resident guide license shall be issued without charge or bond by the
commission, any district supervisor or resident game warden upon receipt of an affidavit from the
resident stating the names and addresses of the nonresident hunters to be guided, the game to be
hunted, the area to be hunted, and that the resident has not received nor will accept directly or indirectly
any compensation for his services as a guide. A resident guide shall not guide more than two (2)
nonresident hunters in any calendar year on any national forest, wilderness area, national game refuge, or
national park, except as provided in W.S. 23-2-401, nor shall he accept any compensation or gratuity for
his services. An exchange of guide services shall not be considered compensation for the purposes of this
section. The name and license number of the nonresident hunter shall be placed on the back of the
resident guide license and stamped or signed by the issuer.
Big game animal is defined as: antelope, bighorn sheep, deer, elk, moose or mountain goat.
Trophy game animal is defined as: black bear, grizzly bear or mountain lion AND gray wolves within any
area of the state where gray wolves are classified as trophy game animals by commission regulation.
Authority for License Issuance:
Resident Guide licenses may be issued at Cheyenne Headquarters Office and all Department Regional
Offices using the iPOS system. Resident Guide licenses may also be issued using manual license
documents in the field by game wardens. There is no paper application for this product.

Profile Email PM
mhock
 February 09 2018 08:18PM  
Forum Senior Member

Sounds like the guides have a strong lobby in WY.

Genesis 9 : 1 - 3

Profile Email PM
Whip
 February 09 2018 08:34PM  
Forum Senior Member

Outfitters have unfortunately been pretty successful in getting the legislature to pass laws that seemed to favor them. A commercial outfitter license is expensive to operate on public land. A commercial guide license is needed to work for an outfitter. Commercial guides can only take hunters for a licence outfitter. Outfitters normally don't care much for residents hunting in their areas on public land especially in the wilderness areas.

Profile Email PM
iamike304
 February 10 2018 11:41PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Quote by: iamike304

You mean you can't buy a 2017 point in 2018? What a crazy idea.

Huh? your quote. . . . . -------------->Might be too late to apply but it's not too late to buy a point for WY

Profile Email PM
bbwittnebel
 February 12 2018 08:37AM  
Regular Contributor

thanks for all of the information, i will have to do some serious reading and catching up. The more information the better. Its items like this where forums and blogs are great. Its all about helping one another out. Again, thanks for the information. The more shared, the better for all. Keep it coming!!

Brad

Profile Email PM
bbwittnebel
 February 12 2018 10:55AM  
Regular Contributor

For those of you that helped in providing information. I am looking at purchasing a map that would help me to show public, private, BLM land areas. I get that there are apps out there, but i am of the old school and like looking at maps. Does anyone have any good suggestions to types and style of maps? Any help provided again is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Brad

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.55 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 12:36 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.61 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com