Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
02/18/2018 @ 12:48 AM

Forum Index > Hunting > Firearms New Topic Post Reply
 What to add to collection next

|  Printable Version
JPenny
 February 13 2018 04:54PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

What, no revolvers? I'd recommend a good Smith & Wesson wheelgun for your collection.

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 February 13 2018 08:42PM  
Forum Admin
Admin

TAURUS TRACKER 627SS6, had one and should have never sold it.

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
Backlash
 February 13 2018 10:41PM  
Forum Senior Member

Looks to me like you need a larger caliber rifle....308...6.5 creedmore or something along that line.

I also agree a nice revolver like a Ruger Gp100 or Smith 686 would be a good addition as well.

The rich man invests in gold and silver, the wise man invests in brass and lead.

Profile Email Website PM
unitool
 February 14 2018 02:50PM  

I appreciate and completely understand those who suggest I save up and spend more for quality. I enjoy shooting at the range a few times a month and hunt pheasant several times a year, but I just can't bring myself to tie up a large portion of my net worth in guns. When I save up a couple grand to spare, I might be willing to spend $4-500 on a new toy that'll sit in the cabinet 99% of the time. The rest is going into my ROTH IRA. Hence the modest nature of my existing accumulation.

Can anybody explain to me why over/under shotguns as a whole are so darned expensive? There's Stoeger and Stevens makes an entry level gun, but there's more options $3k+ than there are $1000-1500. To me it seems they're fairly simple machines compared to most other guns - why the premium?

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 February 14 2018 04:11PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: unitool

I appreciate and completely understand those who suggest I save up and spend more for quality. I enjoy shooting at the range a few times a month and hunt pheasant several times a year, but I just can't bring myself to tie up a large portion of my net worth in guns. When I save up a couple grand to spare, I might be willing to spend $4-500 on a new toy that'll sit in the cabinet 99% of the time. The rest is going into my ROTH IRA. Hence the modest nature of my existing accumulation.

Can anybody explain to me why over/under shotguns as a whole are so darned expensive? There's Stoeger and Stevens makes an entry level gun, but there's more options $3k+ than there are $1000-1500. To me it seems they're fairly simple machines compared to most other guns - why the premium?

My own two cents is to get a 1911 pistol in 10 mm auto. This is useful for personal defense and hunting, just to name a few. There are quite a few manufacturers that have gotten into the game and offer a 10 mm auto version of their 1911 products. A couple that come to mind include Remington, Ruger, Dan Wesson, and then of course, there is the Colt Delta Elite.

With regards to double barreled shotguns, if you look at the fit, finish, and operation of the low-end models versus the high-end models you will start to notice a fairly significant difference. The high end guns are built to last thousands, if not tens of thousands of rounds before needing any type of upkeep done. Some of the higher price may involve paying a bit for the brand, so it really is up to you to determine whether it is worth paying the higher price.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
llewellinsetter
 February 14 2018 05:27PM  
Forum Senior Member

Double guns are more expensive for mostly two reasons...
1) they have two barrels, two ignition actions, twice as many parts.
2) the two barrels should be regulated, meaning the two barrels should have the same POI at roughly 40 yards.

And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Profile Email PM
Woodtick89
 February 14 2018 09:07PM  

Y do u need that many guns? Just talkin about that shooting, I only have guns for hunting. Y do people need 20 guns, AR's & other stupid sht. Not a fan!

Profile Email PM
deaddogwalkin
 February 15 2018 11:15AM  
Forum Senior Member

There is a simple reason why some people want or has that many guns. Because they are tools for the job that I want to do. And don't let anyone tell you that ar's can't be used for hunting purposes. Because they are. They are not just the spray and pray. I use an ar to hunt with and do long range target shooting. I will explain it like I have to some of my friends. If you are putting baseboard trim on are you going to use a 2lb sledge hammer or are you going to use a finish hammer. I would use a finish hammer or my air nail. Can I use a 2lb sledge? Yep sure can. But not the best tool for the job. Or would you use a finish hammer to frame a house? Nope. I would pick a framing hammer. Could I use a finish hammer? yep sure could. But once again not the best tool. This is just a couple of examples but a tool is a tool and I will pick the right tool for the job. And guns and or ar-15's are just tools that I use for a job. And it is the knuckle heads behind the tool that causes problems. Plus my firearms are my investments. That don't depreciate as fast as other things.
Sorry for the off topic but back to the OP's ? I would save up for more of a quality firearm then just adding a firearm to the collection just to add one. They will hold their value more than buying an entry level gun just to increase your collection. Plus they will last a lifetime.

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 February 15 2018 11:26AM  
Forum Senior Member

I generally agree with the notion of saving up to get a better quality firearm instead of purchasing a budget gun. However, sometimes you just want to get some skin into the game and for that a budget gun is ideal. Maybe you want a trap gun so you can give trap shooting a try, but the high dollar over and under shotguns cost $3,000 and up! The minimum to get into the game would be something like a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 pump action which can be had for a very good price. Or if you opt to start a bit higher you an look for a used Browning BT-99. I wouldn't really recommend going straight out and buying something that is top-of-the-line without first determining if it is something that you will actually enjoy and really want to invest your time and money in. If you start with a Remington 870 or something similar and decide you like it then you can always upgrade at a later date. I am just saying that depending on your long term goal it isn't always best to get the most expensive gun you can afford.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
Larry Richard
 February 15 2018 01:18PM  
Forum Senior Member

collections for the most part should be functional. that being said , the most functional things should be gotten and stand the test of time. You cannot go wrong with an 870, a model 70 or 700 if you are a Remington fan. A model 12 would be nice, even a mod 52 win or one of the neat browning 22 autos maybe a 10 22 or humpback browning a 101 win over under or even a superpose or citori. gosh this is getting to be a fun experiment. doc

How come there is never time enough to do things right when there is always time to do it over again? doc

Profile Email PM
Olefart
 February 15 2018 01:32PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

How bout a good Cross bow and sling shot, to hunt with, when the boys come after all fire arms, and ammo. Several good x bows out there and quality sling shots.

Profile Email PM
berettadouble
 February 15 2018 02:00PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Woodtick89

Y do u need that many guns? Just talkin about that shooting, I only have guns for hunting. Y do people need 20 guns, AR's & other stupid sht. Not a fan!

Because its a right. Move on.

Profile Email PM
IaCraig
 February 15 2018 04:28PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: berettadouble

Quote by: Woodtick89

Because its a right. Move on.

Woodtick - in the 1970's I also only saw guns as being useful for hunting. (and I hunted a lot). Here it is 45+ years later and my perspective has changed along with lifestyle. I now seldom fire more than a dozen shots at game each year, but my passion for the range is at an all time high(clays, handguns & scoped rifles). And totally unexpectedly the role of guns in defense has become important to me. After living through family becoming decrepit from age and feeling a few early signs of physical deterioration myself, I think I finally have a clue how vulnerable people feel who are unable to fight or flee.

My point is....... I understand & respect your perspective on gun ownership, don't be surprised if that changes with time.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.59 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 12:48 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.64 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com