Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
02/18/2018 @ 12:36 AM

Forum Index > Miscellaneous > Love it....Hate it... New Topic Post Reply
 Snowmobiles and Tresspassing??

|  Printable Version
Team 1HD
 February 13 2018 10:21AM (Read 3505 times)  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

By owning a snowmobile, does that automatically give you the right to Tresspass wherever you feel like? Just from what i have seen in the past week i would say most must say yes!

Profile Email PM
speng5
 February 13 2018 10:39AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Team+1HD

By owning a snowmobile, does that automatically give you the right to Tresspass wherever you feel like?

No, running coyotes with hounds and morel hunting does.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
Mr.Seaguar
 February 13 2018 10:41AM  
Forum Senior Member

Lol, this is exactly why I hate snowmobiles.

A noble Spirit embiggens the smallest Man

Profile Email PM
sep0667
 February 13 2018 10:47AM  
Forum Senior Member

drives me nuts. I hate snowmobiles because of this. around me they go everywhere. what I really don't like is when they ride through my ditch and cross my driveway. Yes, I know I don't own the ditch, but I have to look at the ugly tracks it makes in my ditch

Passing up a small buck today grows a bigger buck tomorrow...

Profile Email PM
jnrbronc
 February 13 2018 10:49AM  
Regular Contributor

Used to be an open gate seemed to be an invitation to them. Now, with more and more fence lines getting pulled, they seem to go wherever.

I see it with ATV's to a lesser extent, but frustrating all the same.

Profile Email PM
seven twenty
 February 13 2018 11:12AM  
Regular Contributor

Another good question is why are they any different than ATV/UTV's when it comes to law enforcement? I'm not allowed to ride the ditches or roadways, why are snowmobiles allowed to?

Profile Email PM
bowfisher
 February 13 2018 11:25AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: speng5

By owning a snowmobile, does that automatically give you the right to Tresspass wherever you feel like?

And Shed hunting Big Grin

Do everyone a favor...dont feed trolls. Especially the trolls that can't spell.

Profile Email PM
fowl_attitude
 February 13 2018 11:38AM  
Forum Senior Member

As someone who used to ride snowmobiles, most people do follow the laws. There used to be (not sure if they exist still) clubs in many counties (especially NE Iowa). Those clubs would mark the trails and hazards. They would also get permission from land owners to run the trail across the farmer's field. So many times when you see them running across a field, they might actually be following a marked trail. I used to ride from the Janesville area and we could ride all the way up to Waukon on trails. We could ride almost to Independence on trails. Again, these trails would be marked in ditches, through parks, and across private fields. But to be a marked trail, the club had to have permission from the landowner (does not include ditch).

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 February 13 2018 11:38AM  
Forum Senior Member

Probably non-residents checking out all of the new properties they leased out from under good ol boys who felt entitled to hunt them for free...

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
Maverick
 February 13 2018 12:11PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Probably non-residents checking out all of the new properties they leased out from under good ol boys who felt entitled to hunt them for free...

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.

Profile Email PM
Mr.Seaguar
 February 13 2018 01:18PM  
Forum Senior Member

I wondered who the first butthurt sled owner woukd be.

A noble Spirit embiggens the smallest Man

Profile Email PM
IaCraig
 February 13 2018 02:51PM  
Forum Senior Member

Personally snow mobile riders in ditches and crossing my driveway doesn't push any of my buttons, I like to see people outside having fun and I don't see any harm. But everyone has their buttons, I am sure some things bother me that would make many of you would classify me as an old curmudgeon for too.

Profile Email PM
MJM
 February 13 2018 02:59PM  

GET OFF MY LAWN

Profile Email PM
stick500
 February 13 2018 03:12PM  
Regular Contributor

Yeh, they used to go in front of my place in WI on a designated trail and I would see/hear them only occasionally, and I always enjoyed seeing people having fun on their sleds and wished I could have joined them!

I am an ATV, dirt biker, snowmobiler, and mountain biker from way back so I know all about how tough it is to find access to ride, but what great sports when you have the opportunity.

Really appreciated whoever, private or public lands, would give us the green light. Good family sports, too. First went snowmobiling with my grandpa in the early '70s and wouldn't give up those memories for anything.

Profile Email PM
Bung
 February 13 2018 04:32PM  
Forum Senior Member

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Licensed Realtor - MarkBunge@KW.com - I don't go fishing, I go catching.

Profile Email Website PM
Wapsi Willy
 February 13 2018 04:54PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: bowfisher

Quote by: speng5

And Shed hunting Big Grin

Don't forget coon hunting as long as you are making a list..

"That's gonna leave a mark!!"

Profile Email PM
ccb1
 February 13 2018 05:12PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Cool hey if we are dreaming add access to iowa trout streams

Profile Email PM
Boonergold
 February 13 2018 06:00PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Yep maybe add people hunting public ground to that list too. I really dislike it when I get walked in on or when I pull up to hunt my favorite public spot and someone has rudely beat me to it.😳 However a snowmobiler paying state taxes to buy one, paying state registration, and a state trail pass seams fine in a public ditch to me. I do agree trespassing or riding in someone yard is just wrong I would recommend calling your local dnr, with the exception remember most towns from the sideway to the curb is city property.

Profile Email PM
orngruffee
 February 13 2018 06:21PM  
Forum Senior Member

and shed hunting

Profile Email PM
SR Dave
 February 13 2018 07:20PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

I live in town. Single family ranch style home, average neighborhood. New guy and his girl friend move in next door over the summer. Say Hi to them but don't see much of them during the summer. Winter comes and we get a nice snowfall.

One evening I'm sitting in my home watching TV when I hear an engine noise close by and getting closer, real close. I't's a snowmobile and it's headlight beam flashes thru my front windows and across the inside wall. The operator has come from the street, into my driveway, across my lawn traveling within 8 feet of the front of my home and parked in the next door neighbors driveway in front of his garage.

The guy driving is the new guy who just moved in! Lets just say I asked him not to do that again.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 1.17 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 12:36 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 1.24 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com