Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
02/18/2018 @ 12:42 AM

Forum Index > Miscellaneous > Love it....Hate it... New Topic Post Reply
 Snowmobiles and Tresspassing??

|  Printable Version
Team 1HD
 February 13 2018 07:42PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Quote by: Boonergold

Yep maybe add people hunting public ground to that list too. I really dislike it when I get walked in on or when I pull up to hunt my favorite public spot and someone has rudely beat me to it.� However a snowmobiler paying state taxes to buy one, paying state registration, and a state trail pass seams fine in a public ditch to me. I do agree trespassing or riding in someone yard is just wrong I would recommend calling your local dnr, with the exception remember most towns from the sideway to the curb is city property.

Calling the DNR is a complete waste of time! I had a tresspasser and illegal dumper busted dead to rights with the evidence they left behind including their full name and address.. DNR officer laughed at my wife and said his job didn’t include picking up trash. Ended up cleaning up everything myself and was then told by higher ups since i had touched it and packaged up evidence that it would be inadmissable. Bottomline they were to lazy to come check it out in the first place!! Thank God that officer is no longer in our district..

Profile Email PM
IowaSportsmanGuy
 February 13 2018 08:32PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Quote by: Boonergold

Yep maybe add people hunting public ground to that list too. I really dislike it when I get walked in on or when I pull up to hunt my favorite public spot and someone has rudely beat me to it.� However a snowmobiler paying state taxes to buy one, paying state registration, and a state trail pass seams fine in a public ditch to me. I do agree trespassing or riding in someone yard is just wrong I would recommend calling your local dnr, with the exception remember most towns from the sideway to the curb is city property.

You'll get quicker and better results from calling the local snowmobile club. They'll come out and rope off the private property to keep sleds on the right of way.

Profile Email PM
IowaSportsmanGuy
 February 13 2018 08:46PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Like any sport, a small population are inconsiderate of others. About half of the new sleds sold in Iowa never see Iowa snow, they go north or west. Those marked trails are done by volunteers to keep the sport safe and help appease the non-sledders. You'd be surprised the man hours that go into each trail.

In case you couldn't tell, I am pro snowmobiles.

Profile Email PM
Whip
 February 13 2018 09:52PM  
Forum Senior Member

When my son was 15 we we're visiting my folks and my wife's in Iowa. As we we're leaving my son asked how did I find outdoor things to do here with so little access? I had never thought that much about it until he asked. Houses and roads every mile and all the fences and farms how did you have space to roam without other folks getting mad? I looked him in the eye and said that's why I moved to Wyoming. Hundreds of thousands of acre's of public lands to roam and only 450000 people in 93000 square miles. Big Grin

Profile Email PM
Oldbear
 February 13 2018 10:41PM  
Forum Senior Member

Actually if they are just traveling thru and not hunting or trapping, causing damage to ones property and if asked to leave and they do then there's nothing that can be done to them.

Profile Email PM
stick500
 February 14 2018 11:48AM  
Regular Contributor

Is it even the DNR's job to go after illegal dumpers? I would think some other dept. would be in charge of that, but I could very well be wrong.

Profile Email PM
gellar
 February 14 2018 12:46PM  
Regular Contributor

Never had a problem with snowmobiles. Now that atv/utvs are legal to ride on designated county roads we have had problems with people tearing through hayfields and entering our fields even though our gravel road is not a designated atv route. The S.O. has been good to work with as well as the atv/utv club.

Profile Email PM
rericsson
 February 14 2018 02:33PM  
Forum Senior Member

Snowmobiles no problem, since thge grass is dead. NO harm done. they go across my front lawn. Usually few times a year if they have the snow.
What trips my trigger is the neighbor in town that lets his dog crap on my front lawn as he looks the other way and he never carries a scooper.

So, guess it just depends on what your defintion of triggers is. Last time that happened I called my neigbor up and said, Hey, can you knock that off. Oh, no problem, wont happen again.

Guess if I wanted a dog I could clean up his or her mess..... NOT MY DOG SO DONT LET HIM DUMP ON MY LAWN. THAT TRIPS MY TRIGGER.

Thanks, Robbie

Robert Ericsson

Profile Email PM
Team 1HD
 February 14 2018 02:35PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: stick500

Is it even the DNR's job to go after illegal dumpers? I would think some other dept. would be in charge of that, but I could very well be wrong.

1. It was along the banks of a creek.
2. The proof was there for Tresspassing.

Not sure why it would not fall under the DNR’s Jurisdiction. I mean we know how bad they want the water in this state cleaned up right??

Profile Email PM
llewellinsetter
 February 14 2018 02:46PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Team+1HD

1. It was along the banks of a creek.
2. The proof was there for Tresspassing.

Not sure why it would not fall under the DNR�s Jurisdiction. I mean we know how bad they want the water in this state cleaned up right??

Unless it's a hunting/fishing related incident always start with the local PD or County Sheriff and let them escalate if needed. Calling a state law enforcement agency for trespassing gets you where it got you, nowhere.

And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Profile Email PM
mrbuildit
 February 14 2018 07:37PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

I had rope lights that ran down the side of my driveway and were powered off my yard light post. snowmobiles this week blew through the center of my yard (not the ditch or end of the driveway) on the way to the field. I no longer have rope lights or a working yard light. the lights were rolled up and hung on my porch with a note said traps are illegal and if these were run through the yard again they would call the police on me.... until this year I've never had a problem with snowmobiles in my ditch or crossing the driveway. I wish whoever left me that note was adult enough to come knocking on my door so we can talk about it.

the attitude you have will determine the person you will be and the life you will live.

Profile Email Website PM
PaulB
 February 14 2018 08:52PM  
Forum Senior Member

Couple of posts with a wire about 4 feet off the ground should pretty well take care of the problem. People who would turn you in for things they think are unsafe when they are trespassing need to be culled.

You never get too old to learn, but you may get too old to remember what you learned.

Profile Email PM
llewellinsetter
 February 14 2018 09:15PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: PaulB

Couple of posts with a wire about 4 feet off the ground should pretty well take care of the problem. People who would turn you in for things they think are unsafe when they are trespassing need to be culled.

Asshats that suggest things like this need to be culled.

And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Profile Email PM
dkwolf
 February 15 2018 09:15AM  
Forum Senior Member

DNR does more than wildlife and parks - they oversee all waste disposal (landfills, etc.) in the state as well. So yes, illegal dumping is 100% in their ballpark.

This land is not inherited from our ancestors, rather it is borrowed from our children.

Profile Email PM
Oldbear
 February 15 2018 09:36AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: PaulB

No I don't think you really want to do that. We get the point though.

Profile Email PM
cuda
 February 16 2018 01:05PM  
Forum Senior Member

Me and the group that I road with always stayed on marked trails. We also would ride on the farms of the group. But when we did this we had all kinds of people riding there too. Group riding is fallow the leader so if they take a wrong turn they all do. And not all sled owners are members of local clubs. They want to ride there for free and go any where they want. And not all sled owners are bad guys but a few wild idiots give all sled drivers a bad name. I can not ride anymore but the group that I was with still ride and stick to marked trails and are member of the local clubs one drives the groomer for the club! We would go out on a loop of trails and we would drive 125 mile all on marked trails and we did that on all old sleds too. The newest one was a 1982 artic cat I drove a old 5500 blizzard we always had fun too! So I know what a few bad guys can do as we lost parts of the trail because of guy ripping up fields and fences. We did get them back after we found out who did the damage when the guy was getting his sled fixed. He took out 30 feet of fence and part that were left there fit his sled. And he gave up the other 3 guys that he was riding with too. They all pay for the damage and had to work for the club on the trails after joining!

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.38 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 12:42 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.43 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com