Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
10/16/2017 @ 08:53 PM

Forum Index > Hunting > Predator/Varmint Hunting New Topic
 Marine radios for coyote hunting??

|  Printable Version
hutsman
 December 29 2009 07:16PM (Read 10575 times)  
Forum Junior
Junior

I am just wondering what the advantages and disadvantages are of using a marine radio versus a CB radio. I know that they advertise 5 miles for CB and 25 miles for marine radios, but the marine radios operate on a line of sight. So i am wondering if using them for coyotes actually limits your range because of topographical features?? What do you dog hunters perfer and why??

Profile Email PM
CAO Vision
 December 29 2009 07:24PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

In my experience the marine radio is the same as a CB has all the goodies of the CB but you get clearer transmissions not crackly like all CB tranmissions. And also you can easily talk 5 miles with em I have talked on them to another guy at about 24 miles one day but usually just use the cell phone for that! As far as disadvantages IDK of any that the CB doesnt have also! Hope this helps

Living things fear me.

Profile Email PM
frmboybuck
 December 29 2009 07:30PM  
Forum Senior Member

Don't get caught using them......the fines are stiff

Duh.....YO.

Profile Email PM
quailslayer
 December 29 2009 07:32PM  
Forum Senior Member

Radios are legal for yote hunting.

Urbandale, Iowa..... I've got the FEVER!

Profile Email PM
eeyore
 December 29 2009 07:41PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

We have used both and the marine radios are much clearer than the CBs ever were. Never had any problem at all with transmitting and you don't pick up skip on them like you did on the CBs.

Profile Email PM
itsmyturtle
 December 29 2009 08:33PM  
Forum Senior Member

We have used the marine band radios for coyote hunting for years. I have talked up to and over 80 miles with one before.. And not uncommon for over 25 miles.. Like was mentioned no skip. Plus a good weather channel.
I believe the regs say you can't coyote hunt using them during deer shotgun season?

SYITF
itsmyturtle

"Curiosity killed the cat but for a while I was a suspect". .

Profile Email PM
lukn4booners
 December 29 2009 09:02PM  

Our hunting group just switched couple years back. To me there is no comparasion. I live bout 20 to 25 miles from our yote hunting area (soon to be farther yet). Nothing warms u up faster than going to start the truck in the morning and over the radio comes GOT A DOG SPOTTED!! U tend to get ur butt in gear and get on the road. This never happened b4 when were running regular CB's. So if u or ur group is looking to change spend a little bit extra and get the marine bands. Are group which consists of anywhere from 4 to 10 people and sometimes more have not had the first problem with them yet!!

Profile Email PM
lukn4booners
 December 29 2009 09:04PM  

Almost forgot. Good luck and kill'm all!!

Profile Email PM
itsmyturtle
 December 29 2009 09:06PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: lukn4booners

Our hunting group just switched couple years back. To me there is no comparasion. I live bout 20 to 25 miles from our yote hunting area (soon to be farther yet). Nothing warms u up faster than going to start the truck in the morning and over the radio comes GOT A DOG SPOTTED!! U tend to get ur butt in gear and get on the road. This never happened b4 when were running regular CB's. So if u or ur group is looking to change spend a little bit extra and get the marine bands. Are group which consists of anywhere from 4 to 10 people and sometimes more have not had the first problem with them yet!!

Yup, have base unit in the house and a radio in all 4 of my vehicles.. Most I hunt with have base units as well. Have a group of up to 20 I would guess ..all over the county..talk to them every day on the radio.

SYITF
itsmyturtle

Profile Email PM
svridersv
 December 29 2009 09:10PM  
Forum Senior Member

Where are you from. The way you say thisyou might hunt with my group.

Profile Email PM
itsmyturtle
 December 29 2009 09:17PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: svridersv

Crawford/Ida County..

SYITF
itsmyturtle

Profile Email PM
hoytarcher
 December 29 2009 09:18PM  
Forum Senior Member

They use them up north when hunting bears with the dogs, they are nice. there is usually someone with a base that can relay if the terrain, or distance keeps the mobiles out of the loop. Batteries seem to last a long time, and transmissions are very clear. It is the way to go for yotes.

Turtle, you are correct, they cannot be used during either of the shotgun seasons, and may not be legal for muzzleloader, I am not sure. I read it, but didn't remember it, because we don't use them here.

larry

I sharpen things, like saws, knives, and ice augers.

Profile Email Website PM
svridersv
 December 29 2009 09:19PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: itsmyturtle

Quote by: svridersv

Crawford/Ida County..

SYITF
itsmyturtle

Sorry I hunt in Montgomery and Cass County

Profile Email PM
jensenkg
 December 29 2009 09:24PM  

Can't use them during any open deer season. Best wait awhile before using them.

Profile Email PM
frmboybuck
 December 30 2009 12:33PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: quailslayer

Marine radios are not......Legally, you can not use marine radios for land based communications. Without a license, the only radios you can legally use are CB, MURS, and FRS. Likely, you would never have a problem but all it would take is one phone call from someone you interfered with or a CO with his shorts on backwards to ruin your day.

Duh.....YO.

Profile Email PM
JCronk
 December 30 2009 12:42PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: frmboybuck

Quote by: quailslayer

Marine radios are not......Legally, you can not use marine radios for land based communications. Without a license, the only radios you can legally use are CB, MURS, and FRS. Likely, you would never have a problem but all it would take is one phone call from someone you interfered with or a CO with his shorts on backwards to ruin your day.

Exactly right, and you can get an FCC fine also. I think I will stick to the CB!!

"Live everyday like it's your last, because it might just be."

Profile Email PM
Weekend Warrior
 December 30 2009 03:22PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

You can get a $10,000 fine for using one on land.

http://static.stateparks.utah.gov/docs/MarineRadioUse.pdf

Profile Email PM
JCronk
 December 30 2009 04:38PM  
Forum Senior Member

The radios actually cross police and emergency frequencies and can also interfere with weather devices and warning systems. If you get caught(and its easier than you think, they have an FCC ID) the penelties are STEEP!! $10000 is just the FCC fine, you also can get state and county sitations and depending on the situation there could also be jail time.
They CAN be used on land, but it requires a special purpose business or public safety liscense. FCC Subpart 47-CFR-80 outlines the rules for use and liscensure.

As I said before, I will stick to the CB and deal with the static, or just use the cell phone. Wink

"Live everyday like it's your last, because it might just be."

Profile Email PM
Double-Lung1
 December 30 2009 05:09PM  

You can use them it just has to be on an open channel! look in the book to find out which ones are it. We have used them for as long as I have been going and no problem yet and you can't use them during the first and second season shotgun but everything else is open for use of them. The dnr has never questioned the use of them down here! there is atleast 5 groups that I know of that use them everyday!

Profile Email PM
frmboybuck
 December 30 2009 05:40PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Double-Lung1

You can use them it just has to be on an open channel! look in the book to find out which ones are it. We have used them for as long as I have been going and no problem yet and you can't use them during the first. and second season shotgun but everything else is open for use of them. The dnr has never questioned the use of them down here! there is atleast 5 groups that I know of that use them everyday!

Not legally you can't. They can only legally be used on water. You could get away with it forever or you might get caught tomorrow. Makes no difference to me I'm just passing on the info. Its not a DNR issue, its an FCC issue

Duh.....YO.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.76 seconds

All times are CDT. The time is now 08:53 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.79 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com