Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
09/02/2014 @ 06:27 AM

Forum Index > Hunting > Upland Game New Topic Post Reply
 dove hunting regulation questions

|  Printable Version
sensquid
 August 17 2011 09:15PM (Read 2189 times)  
Forum Senior Member

A friend of mine is a county conservation officer and just attended some training on license sales yesterday. He said they were told to ask the question whether or not the purchaser would be dove hunting and it was to be noted on the license as yes or no. If no you could not hunt doves for the season. He did not think the question was asked to determine if they needed a migratory bird stamp though. Does anyone out there know what this is all about?
Now a question, do you need a federal and state migratory stamp or just a state stamp?
Do you need a plug in your shotgun?

Profile Email PM
Redcorn
 August 17 2011 10:00PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

What if you bought your licence in January...??

I read in the Iowa outdoors mag. that you need a plug but it also said you need non-toxic shot so who knows.

I would hope they would publish the regs. pretty soon.

Im pretty good at drinkin beer...

Profile Email PM
plumbob
 August 17 2011 10:05PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: Redcorn

What if you bought your licence in January...??

I read in the Iowa outdoors mag. that you need a plug but it also said you need non-toxic shot so who knows.

I would hope they would publish the regs. pretty soon.

I read the same thing in Iowa Outdoors too. I've got no problem plugging the gun, I imagine the only time I'll shoot doves is hunting small game anyhow. I've never gotten more than two shots at a rabbit anyway!

From what I've read here that non-toxic ban just was over turned, probably after the date the magazine when to the press.

As for needing something on you license, is there some sort of special fee attached? I had understood no migratory stamp was required. And yeah, I bought my license in January, like always.

Profile Email PM
Aprock
 August 17 2011 11:02PM  
Forum Senior Member

My son just moved back to Iowa and I was looking into what it was going to take to get him back out into the field. I noticed on the online license purchase area, a button to "register for dove hunting". So I tried it and it wouldn't let me. Said I had to buy something first and add this to it. I am also one of those who gets a new Hunt/Fish license in january of every year. So I am at a loss as to how to get "registered" so I can shoot a dove or two.

I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Profile Email PM
flyfishr
 August 18 2011 02:50AM  
Forum Senior Member

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/migratoryregs.pdf Read through this it will answer most of your questions.

The revenuers don't stand a chance

Profile Email PM
taylormn14
 August 18 2011 06:32AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

In order to hunt doves you need to answer the question. If you already have a liscence you can register online at iowadnr/hunting. Go to buy a license. Fill out the information and then a question will pop up to hunt doves. It does not cost and it will not print out a new liscense it will just be on your record. If you need to buy a liscence they are suppose to ask if you are going to hunt doves and there will be a y printed on your liscence. Again no cost. This is kinda like the waterfowl survey you have to answer when buying a migratory bird fee.

Respect is earned through blood and sweat.

Profile Email PM
sensquid
 August 18 2011 06:39AM  
Forum Senior Member

Thank you my friends, I do believe that answers my questions. Since I already have a license, registering online seems to be a must. Probably may have missed that without your help.

Profile Email PM
riverrat216
 August 18 2011 07:08AM  
Forum Senior Member

So, I am assuming that when we go to but our license at our local wlmart. They will ask us the same question? I have yet to get my stamps for waterfowl, so I am just quesing that that should cover it anyways

Everybody has to believe in something..I beleive I`ll go Fishin

Profile Email PM
caff242
 August 18 2011 07:17AM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Just followed the DNR link to register. Thank you, I Probably would not have done it. Questions remain, Is lead shot O.K., and do I need a plug??

Profile Email PM
caff242
 August 18 2011 07:25AM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Just found What I need on the Ia dnr site. Here is the link to the dove regs

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/Hunting/mdove_fact.pdf

Profile Email PM
ndkeifer
 August 18 2011 09:22AM  
Regular Contributor

Why can't the IA DNR have a website designed that isn't such and unnavigable mess, I can't find where to answer this ridiculous question at.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 August 19 2011 09:41AM  
Forum Senior Member

Since I already registered with HIP when I bought my license in the spring do I need to re-register if I plan to hunt doves?

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
hunterspec
 August 19 2011 11:47AM  
Forum Senior Member

Yes, it is simple. After you go to the link it will ask for a little info to identify you and then all you have to do is click to dove hunting. It askes if you plan to hunt doves and click yes. Then it says thank you and you are done.

I think the DNR is just trying to get an idea of the actual # of hunters so they can put together some $$ impacts of adding the season to the state.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 2.16 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 06:27 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 2.37 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com