Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
12/18/2014 @ 11:20 AM

Forum Index > Hunting > Firearms New Topic Post Reply
 Waterloo and south people

|  Printable Version
Nmice
 September 12 2012 10:00AM (Read 1356 times)  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

If you haven't be to the gun range in a bit, south of Waterloo on 218 the gun range has be completely redone to to allow for more shooters, so get out and give it a shot!!!

Profile Email PM
PaulB
 September 12 2012 10:06AM  
Forum Senior Member

Izaak Walton in Ankeny has added 3 more ranges. One is dedicated to 22's. The old rifle/pistol range is a 100 yard rifle range now.

This weekend I'll try to be out there for a while.

You never get too old to learn, but you may get too old to remember what you learned.

Profile Email PM
IAtaxidermist
 September 12 2012 12:37PM  
Forum Senior Member

The miller creek shooting range revamp is pretty impressive. Kudos to the park. Hope the public picks up after themselves.

www.artofthewildtaxidermy.com

Profile Email PM
boonie_rat
 September 12 2012 02:49PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Nmice

If you haven't be to the gun range in a bit, south of Waterloo on 218 the gun range has be completely redone to to allow for more shooters, so get out and give it a shot!!!

Haven't been to that one in awhile. It was pretty "rustic" last time i was there. Blackhawk park north of cedar falls in probably my favorite range in the state.

I got nothing............

Profile Email PM
sackman
 September 17 2012 09:57PM  

Now if we could get someone to put some kind of bow range like blackhawk parks range at miller creek that would nice..

Profile Email PM
taylortomtt
 September 17 2012 11:49PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Quote by: IAtaxidermist

The miller creek shooting range revamp is pretty impressive. Kudos to the park. Hope the public picks up after themselves.

The range was very well done. It looks like they spent quite a bit of time upgrading it and was pretty well thought out. I was pleasantly surprised at the upgrades when we went there last time.

Just wish there was some sort of stupid tax some people should be required to pay to use it. Last time I was there a few weeks ago, with my two boys, I was trying to help/teach them a few things and get my 10 yr old ready for youth season with the muzzleloader. Anyway, there was two guys that shot at least a box or two of shells of birdshot at a paper target 50 yards away as fast as they could. Not sure if they ever checked the paper, and definitely sure it didn't matter. The next spot over was two guys shooting shotguns as fast as they could at a basketball as it rolled all over the range. All of these things were annoying and maybe nothing more than that, but the icing on the cake was when two kids (4-6 yrs old?) came crawling over the birm from the area to our left (with the guys and the basketball). They crawled to the top of the birm (5-6 yrds downrange along side the tables). At this point, I instructed my 10 yr old to put the safety on the muzzleloader and for both kids to remain seated at the shooting table with their hands on their laps until "the situation" was under control. After about one full minute of watching these kids play on the dirt on the top of the birm, they decided to crawl down to our side. Finally, the young baby momma followed her kids over the birm to collect them. I'm only assuming it took so long for her to get over the birm because her shorts were so short and tight that it was restricting blood flow to her brain as well as letting her cell phone and cigs fall out of her pocket at the same time. I guess common sense isn't that common. (I think I've heard that somewhere before.)

I was trying to put a positive spin on the visit and two things came to mind:

1. It was a great learning experience for my boys in proper saftey and etiquitte at the range.

2. If our great country is ever invaded and the citizens have to defend her, the war will be swift and won (or lost) in 30 seconds, because after that, we will be out of ammo.

Profile Email PM
redingdl
 September 18 2012 12:09AM  
Forum Senior Member

Thank you . I didn't know it reopened. I will be threr this weekend. I have an 17 HMR and my muzzle loader is get tweaked.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.

Profile Email PM
Brad Phillips
 September 18 2012 05:32PM  
Forum Senior Member

I have picked up trash there quite a bit and it is truly amazing the things you will see while you pick up after someone else. Hopefully with the expanded short range stuff, people who want to shoot right at their feet will be happy.

OutdoorJoe "You don't think what I do is right and I don't care what you do, it's none of my business"

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 3.62 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CST. The time is now 11:20 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 4.13 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com