Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
04/28/2017 @ 08:42 PM

Forum Index > Miscellaneous > Canoes, Kayaks, Paddling New Topic Post Reply
 Kayak Sales

|  Printable Version
SchlitzBeer
 February 18 2017 09:40PM (Read 1641 times)  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Looking around and seeing great price differences among different sellers which is expected. Has anyone found that on place that has consistently better prices than the rest?

Profile Email PM
djo
 February 18 2017 10:12PM  
Forum Senior Member

Kayaks differ tremendously and basically you get what you pay for. Many of the big box stores sell "rubber ducky" boats for a couple hundred often including a cheap paddle. For a quiet drift in a small pond they are fine. If you might go out into more significant waters - either big lakes or rivers with rapids - you really need something of better quality. Several of the outdoor stores sell medium quality boats and paddles although you would expect to get close to $1,000 for a boat and paddle. If you want a real quality boat - something you would take to the Great Lakes or the ocean, I would suggest you look at CanoeSport in Indianola.
David

Profile Email PM
CraigThor
 February 18 2017 11:06PM  
Forum Senior Member

Also watch for deals on lightly used boats.

Profile Email PM
Madison COunty
 February 18 2017 11:06PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Quote by: djo

Kayaks differ tremendously and basically you get what you pay for. Many of the big box stores sell "rubber ducky" boats for a couple hundred often including a cheap paddle. For a quiet drift in a small pond they are fine. If you might go out into more significant waters - either big lakes or rivers with rapids - you really need something of better quality. Several of the outdoor stores sell medium quality boats and paddles although you would expect to get close to $1,000 for a boat and paddle. If you want a real quality boat - something you would take to the Great Lakes or the ocean, I would suggest you look at CanoeSport in Indianola.
David

I would agree with David, go to Indianola and check them out. Another great place is Crawdaddys in Waverly Iowa. Great store and very knowledgeable people. Either place should be able to get you set up.

Profile Email PM
dkwolf
 February 19 2017 12:15AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Madison+COunty

Quote by: djo

David

I would agree with David, go to Indianola and check them out. Another great place is Crawdaddys in Waverly Iowa. Great store and very knowledgeable people. Either place should be able to get you set up.

I'll add another vote for CanoeSport.

This land is not inherited from our ancestors, rather it is borrowed from our children.

Profile Email PM
speng5
 February 19 2017 08:10AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: CraigThor

Also watch for deals on lightly used boats.

X2

Great point. If you buy new, sometimes all you get is the kayak itself, and maybr a crappy paddle. Buying used you can often find a seller selling a package deal, because why keep your paddle/life jacket/rod mounts if you arent keeping your kayak?

I bought mine a couple model years old and it came with a good paddle, life jackets, anchor and ropes, rod mounts, and a dry.box. and I spent less on that than I wouldve on that years model of just the kayak.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
SchlitzBeer
 February 19 2017 01:35PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Craigslist the best bet on finding used it is there other sites/ways?

Profile Email PM
rericsson
 February 19 2017 08:00PM  
Forum Senior Member

There is no way in heck I would ever take a kayak into the Great Lakes. Maybe a boat! Cabelas sells lifetime kayaks, not as pricey as ascend or hobie, but they could get he job done. Most guys are not going to shoot rapids, but just do some fishing in smaller bodies of water. I do not personally plan n going into the ocean. Maybe find decent cabelas kayak, save some money or just purchase a boat? Rolling Eyes

Robert Ericsson

Profile Email PM
zondy
 February 19 2017 08:31PM  
Forum Senior Member

If you want to research some innovative stuff check out nighthawk. I have one of their kevlar canoes, sweet
http://www.nighthawkcanoes.com/custom-series/

Profile Email PM
cyclones30
 February 19 2017 09:27PM  
Forum Senior Member

I'll 2nd and 3rd the Crawdaddys and Indianola comments. Also, newer place in Burlington has some nice boats and demo days.

Profile Email PM
jafergesen
 February 20 2017 08:21AM  
Forum Senior Member

Ascend kayaks available at Bass Pro Shops are great kayaks at a tremendous value. You can pay more for a kayak, but you really aren't going to get a lot extra. They have some previous year models on clearance right now too. These kayaks are an even better value.

Profile Email PM
koldaar
 February 20 2017 08:27AM  

I used Austin Canoe & Kayak (www.austinkayak.com) to order my kayak. Crawdaddy's didn't sell the one I wanted (although they do now), so I went to this place and they were great. You can build your own package (kayak, PFD, paddle) which gets you discounts on the accessories, plus free shipping. Only thing difficult about ordering online is not being able to test drive them. I also know their customer service is top notch. The freight company that was shipping the kayak somehow lost it. Yes, lost a 13' kayak. How in the world does that happen? I called ACK customer service and they were on the phone immediately to the freight company. They said if they could not locate the shipment they would send me another. I dropped $2000 in the kayak and accessories and they were going to ship another. A+ in my book. Kayak was found by the way and all was delivered in tip top shape.

Profile Email PM
scherrman
 February 20 2017 08:58AM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: rericsson

There is no way in heck I would ever take a kayak into the Great Lakes. Maybe a boat! Cabelas sells lifetime kayaks, not as pricey as ascend or hobie, but they could get he job done. Most guys are not going to shoot rapids, but just do some fishing in smaller bodies of water. I do not personally plan n going into the ocean. Maybe find decent cabelas kayak, save some money or just purchase a boat? Rolling Eyes

Why wouldn't you take a kayak out on the Great Lakes?

As for buying a kayak, you can get a high end one and safe money by getting a used one. If you want to buy new then pay attention to the sales and make sure to look at other places other than the huge stores like Cabelas. Make sure to check out Theisens, Farm & Fleet and other stores like them. I bought my kayak last summer at Theisens when they had their Father's Day sale. I saved $150 on a Pelican Catch 120 and I really love it.

Profile Email PM
nessiefisher
 March 18 2017 02:29PM  

Little late to the game, but the Outdoor Rec Program at Iowa State used to do an annual sale. I'm guessing it's coming up in April just like last year http://www.event.iastate.edu/event/38619.

My brother got a very nice 2-person kayak there at a very good price - can't recall the amount or what brand.

Wouldn't hurt to give them a call. They have some of the best equipment available.

Profile Email PM
rericsson
 March 19 2017 10:27PM  
Forum Senior Member

Cool

Was on the Mississpippi when the wind came up and the waves grew to 3 to 4 feet. Damn scary. That my friend is why you will not catch me in the Great Lakes unless I have a boat with a motor to get my ass off the lake in case of severe weather.

I want to live to camp, fish and smile for many more years and not drown. I will take my Mercury motor and or evinrude and cruise the lakes. Thank you Very Much

Robert Ericsson

Profile Email PM
scherrman
 March 20 2017 08:38AM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: rericsson

Cool

Was on the Mississpippi when the wind came up and the waves grew to 3 to 4 feet. Damn scary. That my friend is why you will not catch me in the Great Lakes unless I have a boat with a motor to get my ass off the lake in case of severe weather.

I want to live to camp, fish and smile for many more years and not drown. I will take my Mercury motor and or evinrude and cruise the lakes. Thank you Very Much

I was intimidated at first and stuck to the shore and close to where I launched. The second day I paddled across West O and it wasn't bad at all. It took a while but it was not dangerous at all. It was a nice day and it would have been a different story with bad weather but I would have been out that far or at all if the weather was bad.

My point is, it seems silly to avoid kayaking a body of water due to fear of the weather picking up. There is enough weather info out there to plan a day out on the water without fear of getting caught in some big waves. If there's ever a concern just stick closer to shore. I plan on getting out on the Mississippi this summer.

Profile Email PM
trout killer
 March 20 2017 08:50AM  
Regular Contributor

West O. is no comparison to the great lakes. While I haven't boated the great Lakes I have been on Green Bay and experienced a walleye chop go to 7-8 footers in a matter of a half hour and GB is just a baby compared to the actual great lakes.

Profile Email PM
scherrman
 March 20 2017 11:51AM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: trout+killer

West O. is no comparison to the great lakes. While I haven't boated the great Lakes I have been on Green Bay and experienced a walleye chop go to 7-8 footers in a matter of a half hour and GB is just a baby compared to the actual great lakes.

Are we talking THE Great Lakes or the Iowa Great Lakes? If it's the actual Great Lakes then I misunderstood and I change my response. No way I'm going out on those lakes unless I'm sticking close to shore or I have a huge kayak with outriggers or something.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 1.18 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 08:42 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 1.22 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com