Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
10/16/2017 @ 08:59 PM

Forum Index > Hunting > Deer Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 Proposed law to allow pistol caliber rifles during youth, disabled, and shotgun seasons

|  Printable Version
Wapsi Willy
 March 22 2017 04:03PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Can someone direct me to a link for legislators to contact regarding this proposal?
Sorry if I missed it somewhere.

Thanks!

"That's gonna leave a mark!!"

Profile Email PM
motocrazy2006
 March 22 2017 05:36PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .375 Winchester, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .401 Power- mag, 10 mm Auto, .41 Remington Magnum, .41 Action Express, .44 S&W Special, .44 Reming- ton Magnum, .44 Automag, .444 Marlin, .445 Super Mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Super Mag, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Silhouette, .451 Detonics, .454 Casull, .45-70 Govt., .460 Rowland, .460 S&W Mag, .475 Widley Mag- num, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .50 Linebaugh, .50 Beowulf and .500 S&W Mag.

List of the legal calibers.... if u think about it. Quite a few do exist in a long gun. Your 460 and 500 maybe the 45.70 are your most powerful and would honestly be the only thing to reach to 300 yds acuratly... we all know guys who "have made or taken a 300 yd shot with a slug". Look at remington 700 ultimate muzzy. 300 yd muzzy and lots of guys to prove it.

Most of the calibers that will be legal are brush guns. No better than a 12 or 20 ga slug gun.

I've been saying it for a few years now that if they would legalize it I would buy a rifle chambered in 460 sw, if passes will probably hold off for awhile, 45/70 marlin i have would get used first .. currently own and use a 460 xvr during 2nd shotgun and late season. And I have killed plenty of deer with it. No one in the group was worried they were gonna get shot. I put my slug gun down for 2 years and carried only it. Upgraded muzzleloader and I carried both.
It all goes back to getting into the sport young and learning from the elders and my dad about gun safety. Where not to aim. Where not to shoot. The 3 or 4 years of walking along without a gun to learn how to hunt in a group.

If they want to get the youth involved. Put it in writing that it's legal to participate in a group, under supervision of an adult, with out a firearm. And not have a tag. Dad had to buy us tags sp we would be "legal". They kind of did that last year with the apprentice lisence...

And if the guys that are 100% against it who are worried about shooting all the trophy bucks. Somehow legalize it during late muzzy and you are only allowed to have a doe tag in your possession, buck tag must be filled before u can legally carry the rifle. Something along those lines. Wouldn't bother me one bit. Living in iowa county, and both our farms bordering "semi-private ground of 40,000 acres or whatever that is basically hunted by people after racks"

Don't see this as a bad thing.. it's the bad people that will make it look bad to everyone else and ruin it.... it's not the gun that murdered the man, it's the man holding the gun

I love the smell of shotgun powder on a crisp December morning.

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 March 22 2017 06:24PM  
Forum Senior Member

Why not go with a 45-90. Mr. Green

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 March 22 2017 06:45PM  
Forum Senior Member

I was really wanting a .45-70 lever action rifle so I could say I own a historically significant cartridge which is capable of taking out essentially any game animal in the world. However, after I thought about it some more I decided that I would be better off getting a .357 magnum lever action rifle so I can hopefully get my kids interested in shooting it and be able to take them out during the youth deer hunting season if this passes. Cool Big Grin On top of that, .357 magnum ammo is a bit cheaper than ammo for the .45-70.

Edit: I am not sure if people are aware, but it sounds like a similar law was passed in Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan allowing deer hunting with a rifle chambered in straight walled pistol cartridges. Business for lever action rifle makers is probably looking pretty good right now! Check out the following article by Phil Bourjaily entitled "Deer Guns: Goodbye to Slugs?"

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/the-gun-nuts/deer-guns-goodbye-to-slugs

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
Dirt doc
 March 22 2017 07:05PM  

Quote by: Whip

My uncle who lived in Southern Iowa told me stories of hunting deer and stags in Germany with an M1 carbine during the days following the end of the war. He loved the gun and caliber. To bad he passed or Im sure he would have loved to hunt deer in Iowa with the M1 if this becomes law.

We are NOT talking about 30-06's or 270's or 300 mags with this legislation. We are talking about 44 mags, 357's, 444's, and 45-70's. We need to be clear with the calibers we are talking about. Comparisons to Wisconsin are not valid because the legislation is not proposing to use the same calibers. 300 yard kills with these calibers, yeah right! I doubt that your average Iowa deer hunter could make that shot. Plus, I would suggest that anyone good enough to make it with a 45-70 could also do so with some of the newer slug guns. Actually where I hunt you are lucky to see 100 yds. It seems those who are opposed to party hunting will be opposed regardless of what weapon is used. You aren't comfortable shooting a 460 at a deer when someone is walking toward you. Are you more comfortable shooting a slug in that situation? Also, if the DNR wanted to increase the numbers of deer killed, they already have ways to accomplish that. They don't need this legislation to do so. Let's not make the legislation into anything more than it is.

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 March 22 2017 07:25PM  
Forum Senior Member

If I were going to buy another rifle it would probably be a Henry in 41 mag. Owned a .41 mag in Ruger and great cartridge. Had the same gun in .44 mag and was not impreseed.

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
Whip
 March 22 2017 09:02PM  
Forum Senior Member

Dr. Dirt the 30 carbine is a straight walled case and has been chambered for Ruger Blackhawk and other handguns. Those Sharps rifles are capable of some long shots in 45/70. Watch Quigley Down Under. Movies don't lie. They still shoot 1000 yard matches.

Profile Email PM
Dirt doc
 March 23 2017 06:52AM  

Quote by: Whip

Dr. Dirt the 30 carbine is a straight walled case and has been chambered for Ruger Blackhawk and other handguns. Those Sharps rifles are capable of some long shots in 45/70. Watch Quigley Down Under. Movies don't lie. They still shoot 1000 yard matches.

I don't think the 30 carbine is on the approved list. But yes I am aware of the range capabilities of the old black powder cartridges. However, I don't think many Iowa deer hunters shoot like Quigley or any other Hollywood sharpshooter. My point was that I doubt Iowa's deer herd will be decimated by hunters killing deer at 300 yds. Actually if we all shot like the cowboys in the old Western movies we wouldn't need long guns. Their six shooters were hitting bad guys at 300 yds.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.39 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 08:59 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.44 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com