Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
06/23/2017 @ 09:03 PM

Forum Index > Fishing > General Fishing Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Hubbard's Fishing Float

|  Printable Version
CedarStorm1975
 March 19 2017 12:12PM (Read 3022 times)  
Forum Senior Member

I'm thinking about heading up there Wednesday for the day- anyone have any tips? What lures/bait should I use to have some success on walleyes/sauger up there? Which state license do you need to fish there? (Website says you have to go up on the Wisconsin side to reach it??). Feel free to PM if you don't feel like sharing tips publicly- THANKS:-).

"Anything that gets your blood racing is worth doing" -Hunter S. Thompson-

Profile Email PM
Trout23
 March 19 2017 09:18PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Quote by: CedarStorm1975

I'm thinking about heading up there Wednesday for the day- anyone have any tips? What lures/bait should I use to have some success on walleyes/sauger up there? Which state license do you need to fish there? (Website says you have to go up on the Wisconsin side to reach it??). Feel free to PM if you don't feel like sharing tips publicly- THANKS:-).

never been there but his facebook page seems to be pretty helpful on what is biting and on what. good luck!

Go Hawks

Profile Email PM
rericsson
 March 19 2017 10:31PM  
Forum Senior Member

Is this the float up from PDC WI in the Missisippi River? Has few rooms to stay the night? rob ie

Robert Ericsson

Profile Email PM
Trout23
 March 20 2017 10:00AM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: rericsson

Is this the float up from PDC WI in the Missisippi River? Has few rooms to stay the night? rob ie

No that one is the Great Alma Fishing float. Ive been going there for 15 years. The owners are good friends of ours and Alma is a beautiful place. Highly recommend. They do have a converted house boat that you can stay the night on. The over night guys always do well.

Go Hawks

Profile Email PM
ICEMAN101
 March 20 2017 11:56AM  
Forum Senior Member

I believe that is the one at the Lynx villa dam? Never fished there but you should be good with an Iowa liscense.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Profile Email PM
CedarStorm1975
 March 20 2017 07:40PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: ICEMAN101

I believe that is the one at the Lynx villa dam? Never fished there but you should be good with an Iowa liscense.

Yup, that's the one! I've only fished the Guttenberg float, so this is a new ball of wax for me. Hate to drive 3 hours and get skunked, haha.

Profile Email PM
rericsson
 March 21 2017 06:53AM  
Forum Senior Member

Confused

So, where do you get picked up to go out on Hubbards float? Is there cost to fish off the float and do you gain entry from the Iowa side.

Got me thinking it may be fun fishing of the float at Hubbards.

Are they open for business.??? Any contact information for Hubbards?

Robert Ericsson

Profile Email PM
CedarStorm1975
 March 21 2017 07:54AM  
Forum Senior Member

Confused

So, where do you get picked up to go out on Hubbards float? Is there cost to fish off the float and do you gain entry from the Iowa side.

They do have a website, you have to go up on the Wisconsin side to get to it (up from Prairie du Chien). Not sure what the cost is, what people use to catch walleyes out there....thought I might get more help here, but......

Profile Email PM
Trout23
 March 21 2017 08:27AM  
Regular Contributor

Confused

https://www.hubbardsfishingfloat.com/directions

Go Hawks

Profile Email PM
relytretsemrub
 March 21 2017 08:27AM  
Regular Contributor

Hubbard's sucks the float is barely together and the guy that run's it is a HUGE DBAG!!! I would give up fishing before I gave him a DIME! I heard he doesnt have correct permits to be there and many other things.

Can't Fix It

Profile Email PM
Bob Er
 March 21 2017 08:52AM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: relytretsemrub

Hubbard's sucks the float is barely together and the guy that run's it is a HUGE DBAG!!! I would give up fishing before I gave him a DIME! I heard he doesnt have correct permits to be there and many other things.

X2. If you don't have a boat, and want to fish off a float, give your $ to the Landing in Guttenberg or Clements in Genoa.

Profile Email PM
Wallyman
 March 21 2017 01:11PM  
Forum Senior Member

You can walk out to the dam. Look at a map, walk it's a 1.7 mile walk from the parking place in Harper's Ferry to below the dam. I would do that instead of the float. I hate Hubbard, he was 2 hours late once and we were standing in Lynxville. Last time I ever gave him a dollar. He picks you up at the boat ramp by the Falling Rock in Lynxville. Huge dbag. Trust me, shorter drive to go to Harper's and the walk isn't terrible.

Profile Email PM
Bob Er
 March 21 2017 01:35PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: Wallyman

You can walk out to the dam. Look at a map, walk it's a 1.7 mile walk from the parking place in Harper's Ferry to below the dam. I would do that instead of the float. I hate Hubbard, he was 2 hours late once and we were standing in Lynxville. Last time I ever gave him a dollar. He picks you up at the boat ramp by the Falling Rock in Lynxville. Huge dbag. Trust me, shorter drive to go to Harper's and the walk isn't terrible.

Good advice but be prepared to throw down if you do go that rout. He and the goons that fish off that float think they own the water along the rocks above the float too. I had an incident a few years back when some drunk idiot(not sure if it was him or a customer) starting talking **** to us. We ignored him for a while, then I finally yelled back asking what is problem was. Then he started threatening us. I wanted to beat the snot out of that guy really bad but we decided to take the high road and leave. Not worth going to jail or worse over a fishing spot. Next evening we went to Guttenberg and everyone was nice a friendly. Crazy how much the culture changes by going down river a bit.

Profile Email PM
1luckyguy
 March 21 2017 02:39PM  
Forum Senior Member

Yes I'd agree with the last few posts, I would suggest going to the Guttenburg float or Genoa float. I fish Lynxville a lot (from a boat) and Hubbard is definitely a hothead. If you get within 100' of the float in your boat be comes out with a rod with a 1oz jighead and starts casting at you trying to take out an eyeball.

I personally give the people on the float plenty of space out of courtesy, but I've seen Hubbard do this on several occasions to other boats. Of lock & dams 8,9,10 I'd have to say Genoa #8 is by far the best, Guttenburg would be 2nd, and Lynxville 3rd.....at least when it comes to float fishing. Thats just my opinion.

If you are still set on Lynxville, Hubbard picks you up at the boat landing across from The Liquor Box (formerly the Falling Rock). There is a utility pole next to the landing that has a red flag on it. You raise the flag to the top of the pole and he comes and gets you at his leisure...

Tough times don't last....... Tough people do.

Profile Email PM
Wallyman
 March 21 2017 02:57PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: 1luckyguy

Yes I'd agree with the last few posts, I would suggest going to the Guttenburg float or Genoa float. I fish Lynxville a lot (from a boat) and Hubbard is definitely a hothead. If you get within 100' of the float in your boat be comes out with a rod with a 1oz jighead and starts casting at you trying to take out an eyeball.

How he has customers blows my mind. I didn't even know the Falling Rock was no longer, like I said, I haven't been to Hubbard's float in a while. Jamie in Guttenberg is great! I would recommend going there. Genoa is great, too, but you have to get a Wisconsin fishing licenses.

Profile Email PM
Runngun675
 March 21 2017 03:38PM  
Regular Contributor

Ive only fished a float once and I went to Hubbard's. Everyone seemed pretty nice to me. I didn't have any of the issue's mentioned above. The only thing I would say is the float itself is sketchy at best.

Profile Email PM
Bob Er
 March 21 2017 04:59PM  
Regular Contributor

Quote by: Runngun675

Ive only fished a float once and I went to Hubbard's. Everyone seemed pretty nice to me. I didn't have any of the issue's mentioned above. The only thing I would say is the float itself is sketchy at best.

That's because you were a paying customer. I'm all for giving people room to fish but that guy thinks he owns the damn river.

Profile Email PM
CedarStorm1975
 March 21 2017 06:26PM  
Forum Senior Member

Guttenberg was going to be my backup...plus it's quite a bit closer. Any particular baits I should look at picking up before I head up there?? Thinking Thursday at this point. I have been helping plan my dad's funeral (this weekend), and I just need to get out of town for a day to clear my head and do some fishing. I know that float isn't NEAR as sketchy as the other one, haha.

Profile Email PM
ICEMAN101
 March 21 2017 06:57PM  
Forum Senior Member

At the Guttenberg float, 3/8-1/2 oz jigs and a few different colors of ringworms. Purple might be turning on with the clearing water but I usually switch colors if I go 30 min without a bite.

I have also heard the same kind of stuff about Hubbards, but didn't want to bad mouth him without any first hand experience.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Profile Email PM
CedarStorm1975
 March 21 2017 07:18PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: ICEMAN101

At the Guttenberg float, 3/8-1/2 oz jigs and a few different colors of ringworms. Purple might be turning on with the clearing water but I usually switch colors if I go 30 min without a bite.

I have also heard the same kind of stuff about Hubbards, but didn't want to bad mouth him without any first hand experience.

Thanks! I've been putting the miles on my car the past few days...time to put some miles on my car for something more fun. I'll go look for some ringworms tomorrow and some jigheads. Everything I have is 1/8 oz for casting on interior rivers. Ever use 3 way rigs with minnows out there???

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 1.27 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 09:03 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 1.31 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com