Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
04/23/2017 @ 08:55 AM

Forum Index > Fishing > Bass Fishing New Topic Post Reply
 The desmoines river and bass boats?

|  Printable Version
tim ballard
 March 19 2017 04:48PM (Read 1241 times)  
Forum Senior Member

Im looking for info on fishing the desmoines river with my aluminum bass boat. I live in urbandale so I'm thinking the areas between Johnston and Desmoines. Want to target smallies. I fished off the bank at the sycamore boat ramp today and looks like I could put my boat in there. Not looking for anyones honey holes. Just info on navigating the river and access areas. Thanks

Profile Email PM
IowaAnglers
 March 19 2017 09:13PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: tim+ballard

Im looking for info on fishing the desmoines river with my aluminum bass boat. I live in urbandale so I'm thinking the areas between Johnston and Desmoines. Want to target smallies. I fished off the bank at the sycamore boat ramp today and looks like I could put my boat in there. Not looking for anyones honey holes. Just info on navigating the river and access areas. Thanks

Im pretty familiar with the entire stretch of the river. I love fishing for smallies one of my favorite species to target. If you drop in at sycamore and head north up to cotton wood, there is some good smallies in there. I wish they werent working on the bridge right by sycamore because there is good smallies down river. 2nd ave bridge by north high school all the way down to birdland marina has good smallies as well. Just find bridges, rock pilings, or breaks in the current close to shore and im sure you will get into some. Since you have a boat and can cover more water im sure you can do great with smallies! I am boatless and still manage some good fish. My PB came right out of the sycamore bridge on the left side of that beach area. 6lbs 1 ounce. Released ready for you to catch her! Let me know if you have any questions just shoot me a message would love to help you out as much as possible!

IowaAnglers

Profile Email PM
tim ballard
 March 19 2017 10:49PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: IowaAnglers

Quote by: tim+ballard

Im pretty familiar with the entire stretch of the river. I love fishing for smallies one of my favorite species to target. If you drop in at sycamore and head north up to cotton wood, there is some good smallies in there. I wish they werent working on the bridge right by sycamore because there is good smallies down river. 2nd ave bridge by north high school all the way down to birdland marina has good smallies as well. Just find bridges, rock pilings, or breaks in the current close to shore and im sure you will get into some. Since you have a boat and can cover more water im sure you can do great with smallies! I am boatless and still manage some good fish. My PB came right out of the sycamore bridge on the left side of that beach area. 6lbs 1 ounce. Released ready for you to catch her! Let me know if you have any questions just shoot me a message would love to help you out as much as possible!

Thanks. I have seen bigger boats up near the interstate 80 bridge east of Merle hay before. Obviously need to take it slow but definitely want to get out there.

Profile Email PM
IowaAnglers
 March 20 2017 01:04AM  
Forum Senior Member

Good spots on that stretch of river! Be safe and good luck!

IowaAnglers

Profile Email PM
stick500
 March 20 2017 01:33PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Smallies are biting in the rivers already??

Profile Email PM
speng5
 March 20 2017 07:36PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: stick500

Smallies are biting in the rivers already??

Not last week they weren't but haven't tried since.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.10 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 08:55 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.16 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com