Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
06/27/2017 @ 07:06 AM

Forum Index > Hunting > Firearms New Topic Post Reply
 Savage 220 First impression(Pics)

|  Printable Version
TeamAsgrow
 March 20 2017 08:45AM (Read 1713 times)  
Forum Senior Member

I finally got a chance to get the new 220 out to the range. I started with some Hornaday SST slugs. at 50 yards they were kind of all over the place, the first few were pretty good. Then I realized I should let the barrel cool a bit before too much shooting. I then tested some Remington Accutip slugs, they were grouping nicely but to the left of center. I moved a target back to 100 yards and only had 7 Remington's left and 5 SSTs. The SST's were wildly all over the place. I fired 2 of the Remington's they were touching, I corrected the scope and fired the last 5.

I was shooting off my range bag as a rest, and I am not the best "Rifle" shot. I think this thing is far more accurate than I am! I can't wait to get the boys behind it and see what they can do!

Here is the Remington Accuptips at 100 yds.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 March 20 2017 09:05AM  
Forum Senior Member

Those are some pretty good results! Looks like you are all set for the youth hunting season! How was the recoil and have the Asgrow boys tried shooting it yet?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 March 20 2017 09:18AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: TrapCyclone

Those are some pretty good results! Looks like you are all set for the youth hunting season! How was the recoil and have the Asgrow boys tried shooting it yet?

I didn't think recoil was bad. We are going to the range after school tomorrow to shoot some of the Hornady SST Lite rounds. They should hardly feel the recoil from those. I would have got that thing shooting a little higher but I ran out of the slugs that I brought!

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
CRIA1576
 March 20 2017 09:52AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Wow, that is dang good for the first time on the bench. If the boys can tolerate the recoil, those accu-tips look to be ticket for sure.

For field shooting, I bought one of those Primos Jim Shockey tripod trigger sticks a couple seasons back. That thing is solid as a rock and big improvement over the stoney point sticks i had previously. I can VERY comfortably shoot seated or standing with the tall model and I am 6'1". Having the trigger makes changing elevation on the 3 sticks effortless.

Joel Johnson

Profile Email PM
revup
 March 20 2017 09:53AM  
Forum Senior Member

Give the federal trophy coppers a try too.
They group great out of my 220, and have twice the expansion of the accutips.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 March 20 2017 10:13AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: revup

I will look into them. I think I am going to see where the SST lites hit, see how the boys handle that recoil then go from there.

Profile Email PM
stevenoak
 March 20 2017 11:23AM  
Forum Senior Member

Try the Federals. Since they came out with the 220, I have read a bunch on it. If I had more hunting years left I would try one. Most articles had Fed's on the top of the list to try, and had the best comparisons. I have excellent luck with 12 ga SST's , but a buddy had similar results with the 20's in a 220.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 March 20 2017 11:49AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: stevenoak

Try the Federals. Since they came out with the 220, I have read a bunch on it. If I had more hunting years left I would try one. Most articles had Fed's on the top of the list to try, and had the best comparisons. I have excellent luck with 12 ga SST's , but a buddy had similar results with the 20's in a 220.

I am looking into all possibilities. I did not look into the Federals at first, but they will be on my next list of slugs that I purchase. I have several boxes of the standard SST's and 4 of the Lites to shoot. I also have a couple boxes of the Remington's. I think this gun is by far a better choice to get the boys deer hunting than my old Muzzle loader.

Profile Email PM
stevenoak
 March 20 2017 12:51PM  
Forum Senior Member

Don't forget to scrub the barrel every 3-4 shots. The sabots will foul rifling awful quick.

Profile Email PM
10WAbuckhunter
 March 20 2017 12:56PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Have you looked into the Schrifle slugs by Tarhunt? These are non sabot slugs that will not foul rifling, with some pretty good accuracy, and consistency to them. I would love to hear some results firsthand.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 March 20 2017 01:02PM  
Forum Senior Member

Don't forget to scrub the barrel every 3-4 shots. The sabots will foul rifling awful quick.

Yeah, I did not clean the barrel while I was at the range, but plan to clean it before our next time out.

I have looked into the Schrifle rounds a little. They are more than double the price of the Premium Sabots that I bought, and traveling at 2150 FPS I feel they would be too hot for the boys to shoot.

Profile Email PM
Tin Roof
 March 20 2017 01:48PM  
Forum Senior Member

That's impressive.

Profile Email PM
Mr.Seaguar
 March 20 2017 02:21PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: 10WAbuckhunter

Have you looked into the Schrifle slugs by Tarhunt? These are non sabot slugs that will not foul rifling, with some pretty good accuracy, and consistency to them. I would love to hear some results firsthand.

Schrifle slugs cost $45 for 10.

A noble Spirit embiggens the smallest Man

Profile Email PM
10WAbuckhunter
 March 20 2017 02:43PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Yeah, I did not clean the barrel while I was at the range, but plan to clean it before our next time out.

I have looked into the Schrifle rounds a little. They are more than double the price of the Premium Sabots that I bought, and traveling at 2150 FPS I feel they would be too hot for the boys to shoot.

Understandable, just wondering if they are everything they are wound up to be, and as clean as they claim. Thanks

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 March 20 2017 02:55PM  
Forum Senior Member

I have a question that may be for another topic, but do you or anyone else on here go through a "break-in period" with the barrel on their new rifle or rifled shotgun? I mean some people suggest doing something like:

1. Fire 3, clean barrel
2. Fire 3, clean barrel
3. Fire 3, clean barre
4. Fire 5, clean barrel
5. Fire 6, clean barre
6. Shoot it!

I guess the idea is to smooth out and/or remove any burrs, uneven edges, rough mating surfaces, and so forth that might be present in the gun or to "season" the barrel.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 March 20 2017 03:07PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: TrapCyclone

I have a question that may be for another topic, but do you or anyone else on here go through a "break-in period" with the barrel on their new rifle or rifled shotgun? I mean some people suggest doing something like:

1. Fire 3, clean barrel
2. Fire 3, clean barrel
3. Fire 3, clean barre
4. Fire 5, clean barrel
5. Fire 6, clean barre
6. Shoot it!

I guess the idea is to smooth out and/or remove any burrs, uneven edges, rough mating surfaces, and so forth that might be present in the gun or to "season" the barrel.

I did not follow this procedure, I have read a lot on this subject and there is a lot of subjective, anecdotal evidence but nothing solid of factual.

Profile Email PM
Parker
 March 20 2017 04:08PM  
Regular Contributor

I've never cleaned the. Barrel of my 220 yet and I've been running the accutips. Most times at 100 yards I have to walk down and check the shots because they are so tight. Not saying another round won't shoot as good but to the OP if you want to save some $$ and not buy a bunch more sabots I'd run the accutips. I've already been down the road you're heading and I just ended up throwing $$ away trying other rounds. Once again you may find another round that works but I didn't.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 March 21 2017 07:22AM  
Forum Senior Member

I am happy with the accutips. But I want to make sure this year we practice with some lite loads first and see how we handle the recoil, then work our way up to using the accutips for hunting.

Profile Email PM
berettadouble
 March 21 2017 09:17AM  
Regular Contributor

You might try removing that buttpad and seeing if a bag of lead shot can get slipped in there to add weight/soften recoil. My new 3.5" single shot turkey gun has a large steel bar in the butt for this purpose (thank god).

Profile Email PM
prestonc
 March 21 2017 08:13PM  
Forum Senior Member

What's the distance/range difference between the sst and sst lite?

If God really doesn't take time off your life for the time you spend fishing I just might live forever

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.62 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 07:06 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.66 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com