Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
04/30/2017 @ 02:00 AM

Forum Index > Hunting > General Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 Increase in Iowa hunting fees

|  Printable Version
beniah1066
 March 28 2017 04:05PM (Read 7704 times)  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Looks like Iowa is considering hiking up fees for hunting/fur/fishing quite a bit.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2017/03/28/state-considers-86-million-hunting-fishing-fee-increases/99724248/

I have mixed feelings. On one hand, of course fees due to basic inflation and economic principles have to go up over time. However, I feel like the increase is a bit much. They would be up about 50% of their current price tag.

Just putting it out there. Not sure if I am going to get up in arms for something we are lucky to be as "cheap" as it is compared to some places. However, I do like cheap as possible Smile

Link to the bill:

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=HF574

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 March 28 2017 04:16PM  
Forum Senior Member

I don't object to a fee increase, but a 50-56% increase across the board sounds pretty high. I was thinking more like a few dollars here and there. If you participate in each of fishing, hunting, and trapping then the 50-56% increase for a license for each of those amounts to basically a >150% increase in total cost.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
fastfreddy
 March 28 2017 04:42PM  

$35 to shoot a deer?!?!? I already think it's too high to begin with!

Leave them alone... You will see a lot of people give up hunting and fishing because it will just be too expensive.

FF

Profile Email PM
IaCraig
 March 28 2017 04:47PM  
Forum Senior Member

Agreed, it is some of the best money I spend, so I won't blink an eye. 25+ years ago my dad bought a lifetime license, and after a few years he felt guilty so he'd donate $ to the DNR by buying extras he would neve use like trout stamps or furbearer licenses over the counter.

However, I'd still like to see it broken down to how many $ the DNR takes in and where it goes. I'm Ok if my hunting/fishing $ are paying for osprey nests or raptor biology studies, but I sure as heck would like that info to respond back to the bird watchers and nature lovers when they cuss me for killing Bambi. Mr. Green And I'd also like to just know how the money is being used to improve the resources. (will they buy land ? etc)

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 March 28 2017 04:52PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: TrapCyclone

I don't object to a fee increase, but a 50-56% increase across the board sounds pretty high. I was thinking more like a few dollars here and there. If you participate in each of fishing, hunting, and trapping then the 50-56% increase for a license for each of those amounts to basically a >150% increase in total cost.

Actually a 50% increase can never be a 150% increase....

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
fisher89
 March 28 2017 05:04PM  

I just heard that HF 574 did not get voted out of sub committee. The committee stated they had not heard from constituents that supported HF 574 to increase fishing and hunting fees.

The DNR needs these funds to continue to do good work in Iowa. If this doesn't go through the outlook for next year is this; less fish stocking, less food plots, less officers in the field, and potentially staff being layed off (they are already short staffed!). The following year will be even more bleak. Hunters, fishermen, and trappers have always stepped up and been willing to pay to play and I don't think that has changed!

The Ways and Means sub committee has not closed the book on moving HF 574 forward but we are running out of time. Please contact your legislators and tell them you support this bill! It is much needed and way over due! $26 fishing license is what, a case of beer or two...a few Rapala crankbaits? It is a small price to pay for a year long license, as well as protecting and enhancing our resources for future generations!

Thanks!!!

Profile Email PM
fowl_attitude
 March 28 2017 05:24PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Quote by: TrapCyclone

Actually a 50% increase can never be a 150% increase....

LOL. Would be nice sometimes if it did work that way.

Profile Email PM
rericsson
 March 28 2017 06:16PM  
Forum Senior Member

Confused

Not sure what amount of increases the state is proposing to the fisherman and hunters in our state.
Would it be logical to look at what some of the stakeholders in surrounding states have done.

For example:

Wisonsin: 20.00 for annual fishing license---resident
20.00 for permit to hunt deer

Missouri: 12.00 for fishing in the state- all bodies of water and rivers, including Lake Table Rock
17.00 any deer

Minnesotta 15.00 for fishing permit
30.00 any deer

Nebraska 29.50 for fishing license
30.00 deer licenser
40.00 Combination hunting and fishing.

IOWA: 19.00 fishing for 16 years and older
53.00 3 year license fishing
28.50 deer license, second tag 28.50, third tag is 12.00 dollars.

Would be nice if our legislators could do some comparison fees to surrounding states.
We are more expesnive than Missouri to fish and one dollar cheper than Wisconsin. Nebraska really likes there fish and they set the bar high at 29.50
Deer license: We are more expensive that Missouri and Wisconsin. We are slightly cheaper than Nebraska. Minnesotta gets the high bar for deer license costs

I think it is important to maintain our resources, but our legislators in there wisdom should make logical, meaningful and intelligent decisions taking into account who they are working to represent and not just make knee jerk decisions without proper homework. COST certainly is a priority.

We all want good resources, but we also do not want to be the only state in a 4 state radius with fees that are not thoughtful. I hope they take our interests and the state interest into account when deciding what they think is best. Robbie

Robert Ericsson

Profile Email PM
dogdown
 March 28 2017 06:20PM  
Forum Senior Member

An increase would be ok if the funds where used for things that relate to the sport or habitat, but when the DNR gives grant money to some town for a main street upgrade, then it doesn't really help the cause. The trust fund that I voted for a few years back I thought would help us move from the bottom of the list on available access ground now looks like it is going to be used for everything else. Paying someone to put something back that they tore out and still no gain in available access ground.

Profile Email PM
speng5
 March 28 2017 08:23PM  
Forum Senior Member

I'm for it if, and ONLY if, I can hunt deer with a .45-70.

Seriously though I'm all for giving the DNR the money they say they need to better "serve us", but let's be honest. This is the equivalent of a "cost of living" raise. Enforcement is still going to be a joke, CWD is still going to mess us up at some point, Iowa will still be the land of nitrate water and 14" walleyes, we still won't have any pheasants, our kids won't know what a quail looks like, and we will still be solidly average or below in waterfowling.

If the IDNR needs more money, don't tell us it's to improve the experience of anglers and hunters and better serve the state's natural interests because that's not happening. You're bleeding bad and you need to throw some black on that deep red hole you're in. Nothing will change nor do I expect it to, but I do accept costs are not static and that it probably costs a lot more to run the IDNR now than it does at the time of last license increase. I don't cry when a Coke costs 1.69 instead of the $.99 it did years ago, I don't see why this should be any different.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
Bung
 March 28 2017 11:47PM  
Forum Senior Member

I wish our state would just offer lifetime fishing and hunting licenses already

Licensed Realtor - MarkBunge@KW.com - I don't go fishing, I go catching.

Profile Email Website PM
Oldbear
 March 28 2017 11:53PM  
Forum Senior Member

They do but you have to be over half dead before you can get it. I've got 150 bucks in fishing, hunting and trapping lic. but glad to have it.

Profile Email PM
medicdano
 March 29 2017 05:36AM  
Forum Senior Member

Can't say I support it. Missouri has a great conservation program and is cheaper than Iowa accros the board. I agree with Speng: Its not going to change what resources are there.

The temple of a true outdoorsman is the outdoors itself.

Profile Email PM
lwh723
 March 29 2017 05:55AM  
Forum Senior Member

Iowa: less for more.

High Performance Muzzle Loading www.arrowheadsporting.com

Profile Email PM
doubledrop
 March 29 2017 06:43AM  
Regular Contributor

I do believe that the state of Missouri has a different revenue stream for their DNR. A percentage of sales tax goes to funding. Before you can compare Iowa to any of the other states on license cost it's only fair. to see how each state funds their DNR

If it's in your bio it HAS to be true!

Profile Email PM
BullBlueGill
 March 29 2017 07:25AM  
Forum Junior
Junior

SO as a non resident it will cost me $950 for a bow tag. that would suck big time. That's with permits, points, license. Right now it costs me just under $700 for all.

By the way WI is $24 for gun and bow for resident. there was some incorrect information in an above post. They must have googled it and got old info.

As a WI resident, I wish our DNR would hike the resident tags to $50, maybe half our state would stop hunting and we would have some deer get some age on them. WI is ridiculous when it comes to killing everything that walks.

Profile Email PM
Joy
 March 29 2017 08:27AM  
Regular Contributor

Like others have said if the money goes towards hunting and fishing expenses I am all for it. But like Speng said this is a cost of living raise and monies will be dispersed all over. They need to lobby a bit harder and get the Trust Fund that was so grandiose 6 years ago actually funded. I believe it still remains empty? At least this way everyone would be paying for our natural resources instead of just the hunters and anglers. Law makers seem to take the easy way out!

Profile Email PM
BullBlueGill
 March 29 2017 08:48AM  
Forum Junior
Junior

$25 to hunt, I don't even know why anyone would complain. I buy $12 doe tags in WI. I think this whole bickering about increases is petty. If the NR bow tags go up 30%, i'll pay it. Big deal, it's bow hunting....I love it and who know's how long the lord will let me do it. If i'm able, i'm paying for it and not thinking twice. It's just how I see it. Iowa has some super deer hunting, don't take what you boys have for granted. Pay the money and be happy about it. Come to WI and hunt and you'll never b!tch again about paying $25

Profile Email PM
camaro68cak
 March 29 2017 08:58AM  
Regular Contributor

I emailed the reps on the ways and means committee. Im not sure it helped up I felt better after i did it.

Honorable Representatives,

Please do not support HF574 to raise the hunting and fishing license fees. As an outdoorsman with 2 boys I already pay hundreds of dollars a year to enjoy the outdoors with my kids through fishing and hunting licenses, deer and turkey tags and boating fees. If you want to raise money consider a usage fee for anyone that does not have a hunting and fishing license that way the bird watchers, mushroom hunters, hikers, dog walker, geo cacher and tree huggers can contribute to the public outdoors space that I have helped fund for the last 30 years.

Thank you,

Chad

Profile Email PM
speng5
 March 29 2017 09:12AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: lwh723

Iowa: less for more.

x100

Look at our regent universities. For the last few years, pre-professional programs, majors, minors, classes, and extracurriculars have all been cut. But somehow tuition is skyrocketing. Hard to explain paying a lot more for a lot less.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.74 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 02:00 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.80 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com