Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
10/16/2017 @ 08:46 PM

Forum Index > Hunting > General Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 Increase in Iowa hunting fees

|  Printable Version
frmboybuck
 April 21 2017 02:24AM  
Forum Senior Member

I would gladly pay 3-4 times more in licensing fees if they would double the amount of DNR officers in the field. They are severely understaffed.

Duh.....YO.

Profile Email PM
Bob Er
 April 21 2017 07:28AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Quote by: northwoodsbucks

So I dont have a dog in this fight any more since I moved out of state. In general here is my take though.

Whether my annual hunting or fishing license costs 20 or 30 means squat to me. Its worth about 2 slices of Caseys pizza divided over the entire season. Buying annual licenses for a family of four is less than a dinner at Applebys. Now if you buy every available tag it can add up but the solution might be to have better package deals for that scenerio like MN and WI have.

That 10 dollars that means nothing to me does however, multiplied by 10s of thousands, mean something to the DNR budget.

Other way they could raise money is by making out of state hunting affordable. When I lived in IA I still bought tags in MN and WI, living in MN hunting in IA is out of the question. I dont recall the cost of an out of state MN deer tag, but WI is under $200 and I believe MN is also. IA is close to three times that I think.

Iowa would lose $ by decreasing the price on NR deer tags. Not sure if you noticed but demand is at an all time high. They could double the price of NR deer tags and there would still be a waiting period and lottery needed. reducing the cost of the general hunting license may help, although I don't think there is a ton of demand for NR hunting outside of deer in Iowa.

Profile Email PM
Bob Er
 April 21 2017 07:29AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Quote by: frmboybuck

I would gladly pay 3-4 times more in licensing fees if they would double the amount of DNR officers in the field. They are severely understaffed.

x2

Profile Email PM
the_c_o
 April 21 2017 08:13AM  
Forum Senior Member

the bill is dead, no increases this year

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 April 21 2017 08:20AM  
Forum Senior Member

Those interested in supporting the DNR can still do so in a variety of ways even if there isn't a fee increase. You can purchase additional licenses such as a furbearer license, trout stamp, third fishing line, and so forth even if you don't use them. I believe there even is an option to contribute to the DNR on the Iowa income tax form.

There also are many conservation organizations that you can contribute to and help support the outdoors. One organization that I think really makes the most of their members' contributions is Pheasants Forever. My recollection is that 91% of the dollars that come into PF are actually used for habitat improvement and other projects rather than on overhead costs. That is pretty dang good if you ask me and is one of the reasons I have no problems contributing extra money to PF.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
Thorn
 April 22 2017 09:19AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

I believe we need to support wild life and the DNR officers along with many other projects.
I read comments it's just another case of beer or 2 lurers ect.
I want to remind everyone some people don't have a lot new trucks fancy boats and campers high doller fishing equipment ect. They do good getting license so they can do thing with kids and family teaching and spend quality time together can be hard especially if they have 2or3 kids.
I realize it is one time a year for license but then X2 for both parents and if any kids are 16 that adds on not counting gas, bait , shell, camping fees ect It all adds up and for someone on tight budget can be hard.
I hope I didn't offend anyone but coming from little my up coming has good memories of fishing camping out of a van and want that for everyone

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.18 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 08:46 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.22 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com