Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
10/22/2017 @ 03:58 PM

Forum Index > Hunting > Deer Hunting New Topic Post Reply
 Rifle bill passes the Senate!

|  Printable Version
TrapCyclone
 April 04 2017 08:11AM (Read 12264 times)  
Forum Senior Member

The bill to allow deer hunting with a rifle using certain straight walled pistol cartridges (HF475) during the youth, disabled, and shotgun seasons passed the senate by a 49-0 vote yesterday and is headed to Gov. Branstad's desk for his signature! Has anyone been planning to or have you already bought a new rifle because of this proposed legislation?!

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2017/04/03/straight-wall-cartridge-rifle-deer-hunting-iowa/99989680/

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 April 04 2017 08:42AM  
Forum Senior Member

I bough a slug gun at the worst possible time! I will have to do some sweet talking with Mrs.Teamasgrow...

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
pheasant29
 April 04 2017 09:01AM  
Forum Senior Member

Great news!!!!! Thanks

Profile Email PM
DGorman
 April 04 2017 09:14AM  
Forum Senior Member

I'm still on the fence on this one because I can see it leading to more rifles in the future, but I do think it will help my kids ease into hunting and maybe I'll even give it a go. I have a friend that offered me the use of his Marlin 44mag lever gun so I can see if the kids can handle it with a field pod. If so I could probably get the war department to appropriate funds for our own lever gun.

Or maybe an upper in 50 Beowulf... assuming it makes the official list.

Mossy Oak Pro Staff, Member Anamosa Bowhunters

Profile Email PM
hellrzr
 April 04 2017 09:15AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

That is awesome!!! Thanks for the update.

Profile Email PM
speng5
 April 04 2017 09:36AM  
Forum Senior Member

That is awesome news, still holding my breath for Branstad. Not saying he has any reason to nix this but knowing my luck, if I go out and buy that 45-70 I've always wanted, this will somehow get axed Laughing Out Loud

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
PaulB
 April 04 2017 09:36AM  
Forum Senior Member

Was talking with someone the other day and they said when this law passed in Ohio all the possible rifles to be used dried up. they had shipped a 45-70 to a buyer in that state that was glad to get it at a price that was somewhat high for us.

glad I have some rifles that fit this niche already. And now I can use them. Yippee.

You never get too old to learn, but you may get too old to remember what you learned.

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 April 04 2017 09:43AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: speng5

That is awesome news, still holding my breath for Branstad. Not saying he has any reason to nix this but knowing my luck, if I go out and buy that 45-70 I've always wanted, this will somehow get axed Laughing Out Loud

If I understand how the Iowa legislature works, the House and Senate votes were basically all for and none against this bill which makes it essentially a veto-proof majority. Even if it were vetoed there is a very good chance it would get overridden.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem (I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery). -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile Email PM
speng5
 April 04 2017 10:37AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: TrapCyclone

If I understand how the Iowa legislature works, the House and Senate votes were basically all for and none against this bill which makes it essentially a veto-proof majority. Even if it were vetoed there is a very good chance it would get overridden.

Ah, yep. Didnt notice original post said 49-0 Mr. Green

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
maxx
 April 04 2017 11:12AM  
Forum Senior Member

Meh for me I wont be buying one but I don't really have a problem with the law.

I really don't see that big of a benefit over a shotgun or a muzzle loader. I have killed lots of deer with rifles during the WI season so maybe that is why I just don't care all that much.

There were things he could do without declared Reed. "Steaks that don't bleed. Coffee with cream. Guys who don't swear. Boots that leak. Wild animals in cages. Bears trained to do tricks. Cheese that has no smell." Jay Reed

Profile Email PM
speng5
 April 04 2017 11:40AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: maxx

I have killed lots of deer with rifles during the WI season so maybe that is why I just don't care all that much.

Probably right, for me the novelty aspect is a pretty good draw. For most life long Iowans it probably is. We may just have a dandy of an idea coming true because I really could see increased firearm/ammo sales and participation.

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 April 04 2017 11:49AM  
Forum Senior Member

Not sure about local inventory, but there look to be good numbers of lever actions available online at places such as Bud's, Gunbroker, and so forth.

It will be interesting to see how this influences firearm sales and the number of deer hunters. Hard to predict as a good number of people may already have a lever action in a legal deer-hunting caliber and others may just switch from a shotgun to a lever action. For those two scenarios there would be no new firearms sales and it is just the same person hunting with a different firearm.

For me personally the biggest draw is being able to more easily get our youth involved in deer hunting.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 April 04 2017 11:50AM  
Forum Senior Member

I have killed lots of deer with rifles during the WI season so maybe that is why I just don't care all that much.

Probably right, for me the novelty aspect is a pretty good draw. For most life long Iowans it probably is. We may just have a dandy of an idea coming true because I really could see increased firearm/ammo sales and participation.

On the flip side of that coin, how many people do you see out during the shotgun season that use a bird barrel and lob pumpkin slugs? I am sure some people will buy new rifles but I doubt there will be a HUGE increase in sales and participation.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Profile Email PM
speng5
 April 04 2017 12:05PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

On the flip side of that coin, how many people do you see out during the shotgun season that use a bird barrel and lob pumpkin slugs? I am sure some people will buy new rifles but I doubt there will be a HUGE increase in sales and participation.

I guess the part Im more optimistic about is this is good for kids/new hunters, which regardless of possible "competition" on public lands, we need them badly for the long term well being of hunting in Iowa. Learning to shoot these rifles effectively is way better for a kid than getting mule kicked by a slug gun. For a kid this also removes some of the particulars that come with shoting a muzzy. Plus I know folks who enjoy rifles and rifle shooting but dont hunt deer because they arent archers and don't care to mess with slug guns.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 April 04 2017 12:14PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

I guess the part Im more optimistic about is this is good for kids/new hunters, which regardless of possible "competition" on public lands, we need them badly for the long term well being of hunting in Iowa. Learning to shoot these rifles effectively is way better for a kid than getting mule kicked by a slug gun. For a kid this also removes some of the particulars that come with shoting a muzzy. Plus I know folks who enjoy rifles and rifle shooting but dont hunt deer because they arent archers and don't care to mess with slug guns.

I agree for the most part. I hate shooting my Muzz and then have to clean the damn thing. I just wonder how many Parents and Grandparents are going to run out and buy new pistol chambered rifles for their kids and grandkids to shoot.
It is also just my luck that this law passes shortly after I go out and buy a slug gun for the BoysAsgrow! Mr. Green

Profile Email PM
deerhunter93
 April 04 2017 12:44PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Bad news bears... this will lead to more rifles in Iowa in the near future. I sure hope I'm wrong but I firmly believe this is a BAD thing in the overall quality of deer hunting in Iowa.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13 ... www.outreachoutdoors.com

Profile Email PM
speng5
 April 04 2017 12:52PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: deerhunter93

Bad news bears... this will lead to more rifles in Iowa in the near future. I sure hope I'm wrong but I firmly believe this is a BAD thing in the overall quality of deer hunting in Iowa.

By more rifles, do you mean eventually additional calibers? Because I don't know about that... lot of gray area between a rifle that will take a deer at 200 yards and one that will take one at 400+ yards. Plus those weapons are already legal here in the form of smokeless muzzy's. The way the centerfire season went over in southern Iowa years back, I'm not real worried that they are coming back any time soon.

Profile Email PM
maxx
 April 04 2017 12:59PM  
Forum Senior Member

I get shooting a muzzle loader sucks and I hate cleaning it myself.

My kids practice more with a 22 than any other rifle. Cheap to shoot, quite (suppressed now which is awesome) and just fun as hell to shoot. If becoming a better shooter or just learning to shoot is your #1 goal you can pretty much get that out of a 22.

We do shoot the AR's a lot also. I think they are more fun.

There were things he could do without declared Reed. "Steaks that don't bleed. Coffee with cream. Guys who don't swear. Boots that leak. Wild animals in cages. Bears trained to do tricks. Cheese that has no smell." Jay Reed

Profile Email PM
TrapCyclone
 April 04 2017 01:22PM  
Forum Senior Member

I was doing some searching online and apparently a couple manufacturers made or previously made bolt action rifles in calibers such as .357 and .44 magnum with an example being the Ruger 77 which was reviewed here: http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-M77-357.htm. The author of that review was able to get less than 2" groups at 100 yards which is plenty accurate enough for deer hunting. I would imagine one could try to develop rifles that eke out as much accuracy and distance as possible from straight walled pistol cartridges much like they have done with modern-day muzzleloaders.

Profile Email PM
TeamAsgrow
 April 04 2017 01:26PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: TrapCyclone

I was doing some searching online and apparently a couple manufacturers made or previously made bolt action rifles in calibers such as .357 and .44 magnum with an example being the Ruger 77 which was reviewed here: http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-M77-357.htm. The author of that review was able to get less than 2" groups at 100 yards which is plenty accurate enough for deer hunting. I would imagine one could try to develop rifles that eke out as much accuracy and distance as possible from straight walled pistol cartridges much like they have done with modern-day muzzleloaders.

Accuracy within 200 yards is fine, but past that is when the cartridge looses the energy to be effective. These pistol chambered rifles aren't going to give much benefit over the weapons currently allowed aside from reduced recoil ( in some applications) and cost of ammunition. The amount of bullet drop from these pistol cartridges really starts to show at any extended range.

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.72 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 03:58 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.77 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com