Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
04/30/2017 @ 02:01 AM

Forum Index > Fishing > General Fishing Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Fishing From Bridges

|  Printable Version
Joy
 April 19 2017 10:56AM (Read 2979 times)  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Is it legal to fish from bridges on county roads. I always see a group of people doing so when I drive to work. Doesn't bother me but I can see some safety issues so I wasn't clear on the legality of it.

Profile Email PM
SR Dave
 April 19 2017 11:19AM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Depends on the bridge, some have specific signs forbidding fishing from that bridge.

Profile Email PM
speng5
 April 19 2017 11:23AM  
Forum Senior Member

You can trap under them so I would think it falls under the same principle (right of way access). However some bridges that are narrow or in high traffic areas are specifically marked "no fishing from bridge".

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
KeokukCoboy
 April 19 2017 12:56PM  
Forum Senior Member

I often wondered about the safety issue especially at night. It would only take one drunk driver to ruin a good night of catfishing. My daughter and her friend like to fish at night off a bridge on a gravel road. They do use reflector tape on their person and gear but I still don't believe this is good enough.

Im Just A Passenger...Life Is Just A Ride

Profile Email PM
Philly
 April 19 2017 02:01PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Around here we have some small rivers and seems about once or twice a year I'll come up to a bridge with people fishing off of it. There's usually multiple lines hanging out too and they're hard to see. It's real fun trying to see them too. I usually do a little yelling. It should be illegal to fish off of bridges. You can't pull a fish up most of the time anyway. If you hook one you usually have to go run down to land it.

Profile Email PM
SR Dave
 April 19 2017 02:04PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: KeokukCoboy

I often wondered about the safety issue especially at night. It would only take one drunk driver to ruin a good night of catfishing. My daughter and her friend like to fish at night off a bridge on a gravel road. They do use reflector tape on their person and gear but I still don't believe this is good enough.

I don't think alcohol is needed, darkness would be reason enough for me NOT fish from a bridge. Same thing with railroad bridges.

Profile Email PM
scherrman
 April 19 2017 02:11PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Quote by: SR+Dave

I don't think alcohol is needed, darkness would be reason enough for me NOT fish from a bridge. Same thing with railroad bridges.

I'm pretty sure railroad tracks are considered private property so I would think it's illegal to fish of a railroad bridge. I could be mistaken though.

Profile Email PM
SR Dave
 April 19 2017 02:37PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: scherrman

I'm pretty sure railroad tracks are considered private property so I would think it's illegal to fish of a railroad bridge. I could be mistaken though.

I still would not fish off a railroad bridge, even if it IS illegal. Wink Wink

Profile Email PM
dkwolf
 April 19 2017 02:47PM  
Forum Senior Member

Very much so. DO NOT MESS WITH THE RAILROAD. Remember, they are the only private entity in the US with it's own full police force, and full powers of arrest. They do NOT take trespassing lightly.

As for the road bridges... yeah, you can fish under them. You can set up lawn chairs and hang out all day on the bank under them. Doesn't mean doing it ON the bridge is a good idea.

This land is not inherited from our ancestors, rather it is borrowed from our children.

Profile Email PM
speng5
 April 19 2017 02:54PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: dkwolf

Very much so. DO NOT MESS WITH THE RAILROAD. Remember, they are the only private entity in the US with it's own full police force, and full powers of arrest. They do NOT take trespassing lightly.

As for the road bridges... yeah, you can fish under them. You can set up lawn chairs and hang out all day on the bank under them. Doesn't mean doing it ON the bridge is a good idea.

Yeah, I was just gonna say, all this talk about cars and drunks and night time etc...why not just fish under the bridge?

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
SR Dave
 April 19 2017 03:00PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Yeah, I was just gonna say, all this talk about cars and drunks and night time etc...why not just fish under the bridge?[/p]

I think folks are using the bridge to gain access to the middle area of a wide river, which might be difficult to do from shore.

Profile Email PM
dkwolf
 April 19 2017 03:03PM  
Forum Senior Member

Yeah, I was just gonna say, all this talk about cars and drunks and night time etc...why not just fish under the bridge?

I think folks are using the bridge to gain access to the middle area of a wide river, which might be difficult to do from shore.[/p][/QUOTE]
My job puts me on the roadways fairly often. I know how little traffic slows down or moves for someone on the shoulder. Even on little-travelled gravel roads.

There is no way I would purposefully hang out in a spot where my only option for escape is to jump off the bridge.

This land is not inherited from our ancestors, rather it is borrowed from our children.

Profile Email PM
twdenney
 April 19 2017 08:31PM  
Forum Senior Member

They do it in my area and the gravel gets very dusty. So dusty when close to dusk when wind is down you cannot see at all to drive let alone someone standing on bridge. I cannot believe someone has not been injured from it. They even sit on edge of road in lawn chairs. I guess it will turn out to be natural selection.

Profile Email PM
bhilligas
 April 19 2017 09:12PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

I'll fish off bridges if it's a light traffic area like on gravel, but on a highway, don't think I would want to.

Profile Email PM
orngruffee
 April 19 2017 09:24PM  
Forum Senior Member

As many distracted drivers as there are day and night, you got a pretty good chance of swimmin with the fishes.

Profile Email PM
CRIA1576
 April 19 2017 10:21PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

My wife, daughters, and extended family and friends catfish off rural bridges every spring and summer. The bridges we fish are in Carroll and Greene counties, always on gravel, and we've never had so much as a marginally risky moment doing so. Most people that drive by stop, roll down a window, and ask if anything is biting. We've never been forced to "eat dust" by some moron blasting down the road.

As with anything else, a little common sense goes a long way to preventing accidents. Personally, we don't fish bridges at night, and I can see the increaed risk if a guy or group doesn't have a lantern or other source of steady light to let people know where they're at. However, to say we need to outlaw fishing from *ALL* bridges would be a gross overreach by "the man". Most busy and paved bridges already have signage to prevent fishing and we should simply leave it at that. No harm no foul.

If you haven't tried fishing from a rural bridge on a beautiful spring afternoon/evening than I suggest you try it before you condemn it. The benefits are many including more effective presentation of your bait, being able to stay dry and out of the mud and nettles, and rolling a window down and listening to some tunes while you have a cold one with friends and family.

Don't knock it before you try it friends.

Profile Email PM
lebruce
 April 20 2017 04:03AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: CRIA1576

My wife, daughters, and extended family and friends catfish off rural bridges every spring and summer. The bridges we fish are in Carroll and Greene counties, always on gravel, and we've never had so much as a marginally risky moment doing so. Most people that drive by stop, roll down a window, and ask if anything is biting. We've never been forced to "eat dust" by some moron blasting down the road.

As with anything else, a little common sense goes a long way to preventing accidents. Personally, we don't fish bridges at night, and I can see the increaed risk if a guy or group doesn't have a lantern or other source of steady light to let people know where they're at. However, to say we need to outlaw fishing from *ALL* bridges would be a gross overreach by "the man". Most busy and paved bridges already have signage to prevent fishing and we should simply leave it at that. No harm no foul.

If you haven't tried fishing from a rural bridge on a beautiful spring afternoon/evening than I suggest you try it before you condemn it. The benefits are many including more effective presentation of your bait, being able to stay dry and out of the mud and nettles, and rolling a window down and listening to some tunes while you have a cold one with friends and family.

Don't knock it before you try it friends.

BINGO I agree with every thing here. If you have never tried fishing from a creek bridge during or just after a thunder storm when the water is rising, you've been missing on killer cat bite's !!!!

Catching is the result of finding, finding is the result of knowledge !!!

Profile Email Website PM
Oldbear
 April 20 2017 07:11AM  
Forum Senior Member

People have done it for a hundred years on off road gravels. If it doesn't say you can't have at it at your own peril.

Profile Email PM
IaCraig
 April 20 2017 10:56AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Oldbear

People have done it for a hundred years on off road gravels. If it doesn't say you can't have at it at your own peril.

I believe it is legal, but not 100% certain. It has been quite a few years since I have done this, but your 100 year statement is no exaggeration for my family. I have many fond memories of doing this with relatives, and my 1st large fish when I was 10-12 was a 8 lb channel caught this way. It was also one of the few types of fishing my Uncle could still do when he was 90. It is a great way to float/bottom bounce your bait down the river/creek to structure. If I were to do it again today, I would only consider the more rural areas, where 99% of the traffic is local farmers who often stop and chat with you. We usually started with a few hours left of light so we could adjust the weight we needed for the speed of the current, and went until around midnight.

There are haters everywhere. Just like many drivers are vocal about their hate of bicyclists and joggers, I am not surprised people are vocal of their hate bridge fishing. (even if they've never done it or seen it done) After all, everyone knows that if you hunt with anything but a recurve bow or an 870, you are doing it wrong. Razz

Live long and prosper !!

Profile Email PM
HEUY
 April 20 2017 11:45AM  
Forum Senior Member

Fishing off bridges is just like walking along a road. You need to always watch our for the Other Person. I worry more about Bikes than I do Fishermen. Been doing it for 40+ yrs and yes you often have to climb done to land fish, but that is just part of the experience. Bridges on top after dark OK, underneath after dark the skeeters can carry you off. That's my opinion.

Always remember what's important in your life!

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.33 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 02:01 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.37 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com