Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
10/17/2017 @ 01:24 PM

Forum Index > Fishing > General Fishing Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Fishing From Bridges

|  Printable Version
oaxaca
 May 01 2017 04:38PM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Quote by: WhiteMoose

If it were really illegal, you would think they would have stopped the hundreds of guys doing it in front of the police station in downtown Des Moines long ago.

I always wondered how they landed larger fish if they hooked one. Was interested to see a guy fishing from the bridge near the ICubs stadium lower a shopping cart basket by a rope to help haul up a big carp. Actually worked pretty slick.

Big difference between fishing off a bridge with 10 foot wide raised sidewalks on it, as compared to fishing off an interstate bridge. I find fishing off an interstate bridge, as described above, to be highly stupid and dangerous. And putting your kids on it......

Chap

Profile Email PM
RGR175
 May 01 2017 06:56PM  
Forum Chatty
Chatty

Quote by: WhiteMoose

If it were really illegal, you would think they would have stopped the hundreds of guys doing it in front of the police station in downtown Des Moines long ago.

I always wondered how they landed larger fish if they hooked one. Was interested to see a guy fishing from the bridge near the ICubs stadium lower a shopping cart basket by a rope to help haul up a big carp. Actually worked pretty slick.

Pier fishing techniques would work. Use a gaff hook on a rope if you're keeping the fish or a hoop net. I've got a hoop net that I use when I fish bridges and walls when I cant reach the water with a normal pole net.

Profile Email PM
gofishN
 May 03 2017 04:55PM  
Forum Junior
Junior

Not sure about public Roadway bridges.
Regarding Railroad bridges, It's Illegal as all get out
and, far more importantly, it is a Federal Crime.

Feds have a minimum sentence of 10 years and their version of early out is serve 80% of your sentence before parole.
Since 9/11, if you want quick law enforcement reaction time, mess around, on or with, RR property.
That whole vital national infrastructure/high value target thing.

Seriously, you do not want the headache that would come with trying to fish off or under a RR bridge.

Profile Email PM
speng5
 May 03 2017 06:00PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: gofishN

Not sure about public Roadway bridges.
Regarding Railroad bridges, It's Illegal as all get out
and, far more importantly, it is a Federal Crime.

Feds have a minimum sentence of 10 years and their version of early out is serve 80% of your sentence before parole.
Since 9/11, if you want quick law enforcement reaction time, mess around, on or with, RR property.
That whole vital national infrastructure/high value target thing.

Seriously, you do not want the headache that would come with trying to fish off or under a RR bridge.

That's no joke. Years ago we had permission on a farm to hunt pheasants (that should tell you how long ago this was). We hadn't seen too many and my buddy and I decided maybe we ought to check some of the brush along the railroad tracks that went by. Well we had only been kicking that brush for maybe 15 minutes and here comes a train. Not knowing we were possible felons and national security risks, we didn't think anything of it and kept on going. Obviously we backed off a little when the train got close. Engineer BLARED his horn for what seemed like 30 seconds straight and when he got even with us he leaned toward us and gave us the Mr. Wilson from Dennis the Menace finger wag fit to beat all finger wags.

When we got back to the house a couple hours later they had already figured out who's land we were on and had contacted the farmer. We got a butt chewing we'd hardly seen before or since, and most of it was verbatim from the Railroad. They do NOT mess around. I am trying to remember if this was pre or post 9/11, it was close. I have to think it was before otherwise I'd probably be in a cell somewhere. Luckily the engineer noticed we were just a couple kids and the landowner did verify we were originally hunting his farm and did have permission.

"He had bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 May 03 2017 07:56PM  
Forum Senior Member

My understanding for many years is you can fish from a boat under a r/r bridge, you just cannot tie off from the bridge or supports

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
IaCraig
 May 04 2017 05:12PM  
Forum Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I never realized that as kids growing up in the mid 1970's we were violating federal RR trespass laws almost daily, including hunting along the tracks and using the trestle to cross creeks etc. We even had trail for our dirt bikes than ran along the tracks to neighboring towns. It must be that it was a very, very low usage line that no one cared.

Profile Email PM
river
 May 05 2017 03:46PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: IaCraig

Thanks for the info. I never realized that as kids growing up in the mid 1970's we were violating federal RR trespass laws almost daily, including hunting along the tracks and using the trestle to cross creeks etc. We even had trail for our dirt bikes than ran along the tracks to neighboring towns. It must be that it was a very, very low usage line that no one cared.

It's a different world for sure. My buddies and I would actually hitch a ride on a flat car to get back to where we started after walking the tracks for miles. We did it several times and the operators knew full well we were climbing aboard.

River

You want to catch a fish, you gotta' think like a fish.

Profile Email Website PM
Oldbear
 May 05 2017 08:20PM  
Forum Senior Member

Things have changed over the years. You may have got off in the nick of time as at least now they would of called the RR Dick's.

Profile Email PM
KeokukCoboy
 May 08 2017 08:47AM  
Forum Senior Member

It's a different world for sure. My buddies and I would actually hitch a ride on a flat car to get back to where we started after walking the tracks for miles. We did it several times and the operators knew full well we were climbing aboard.

River

Man were those the good ole days for sure. Loved hunting the tracks being a city kid,too young to have a drivers license. We would catch a ride now and then. When the tracks were abandoned and the rails were still there we would take my friends car and put it on the tracks and let some air out of the tires we would sit on the hood as it rolled through the country side drinking our favorite beverage...Slower paced life back then for sure

Im Just A Passenger...Life Is Just A Ride

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.56 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 01:24 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.61 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com