Home :   Forums :   Contribute :  Calendar :  Business Members :  Journals :  Search :  HELP! :  Careers  
 Welcome to Iowa Sportsman!

Be sure to check out the Site Rules.
04/30/2017 @ 01:58 AM

Forum Index > Fishing > General Fishing Forum New Topic Post Reply
 Fishing From Bridges

|  Printable Version
graybeard
 April 20 2017 12:24PM  
Forum Senior Member

This was discussed a year or two ago, and it seems to me it was found not to be legal. That being said, I still do it on occasion. If I don't feel like messing with the boat, I may fish off a bridge for a couple hours. The two bridges I fish off are both on gravel, and very wide. One I can actually park on the bridge to unload my stuff, and there is still room for two lanes of traffic to go by. For people without a boat, at least in this area, places to fish off the bank are harder and harder to find. Nothing like when I was a kid. I see no problem with it myself, especially for older people or those unable to get around very well. And some dedicated bridge fisherman have some pretty innovative ideas as far as bringing fish out of the water.

Tama Co.

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 April 20 2017 01:04PM  
Forum Senior Member

No law against it I know of, unless posted. Before I joined the Navy I and my buddy bowfishing off to I 29 bridge across the old mouth of the Floyd in Sioux City. As far as blowing across bridges on county roads. Real dumb. Our never know what might be there.

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
CedarStorm1975
 April 20 2017 08:59PM  
Forum Senior Member

As a kid, we used to fish off of the Old Iron Bridge over the Wapsi near Rowley- my grampa owned the property UNDER the bridge, and lived nearby. Anyway- we spent a lot of summer nights fishing off that old bridge- I was even on it one night when a neighbor drove his big John Deere tractor over it ((before they put the chains up to prevent big trucks, and tractors from using it). We used to catch a lot of catfish off that bridge, one of them, my grampa had to get down to the shoreline to land it. The bridge that is there now I wouldn't even think to fish off of it- there's not a safe place to sit/stand because it's a concrete bridge. It was replaced in the mid 90's after I move away to college.

"Anything that gets your blood racing is worth doing" -Hunter S. Thompson-

Profile Email PM
graybeard
 April 20 2017 09:41PM  
Forum Senior Member

I don't know how to copy/paste it, but if you Google Iowa fishing from bridges, there is a release from the Iowa DOT dated 5/11/2011 saying it is illegal to fish from any roadway or railroad bridge. Not saying I agree or obey, but it's there.

Tama Co.

Profile Email PM
Finns
 April 20 2017 10:12PM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: graybeard

I don't know how to copy/paste it, but if you Google Iowa fishing from bridges, there is a release from the Iowa DOT dated 5/11/2011 saying it is illegal to fish from any roadway or railroad bridge. Not saying I agree or obey, but it's there.

http://www.news.iowadot.gov/newsandinfo/2011/05/no-fishing-allowed-off-iowa-bridges.html

Something like this?

I am an old man sitting on a sagging dock, fishing in the rain, with not a fish in miles: it is a perfect night for fishing. From Ham and Cheese on Rye by Gary Busha.

Profile Email PM
lebruce
 April 21 2017 04:24AM  
Forum Senior Member

Quote by: Finns

Quote by: graybeard

http://www.news.iowadot.gov/newsandinfo/2011/05/no-fishing-allowed-off-iowa-bridges.html

Something like this?

Someone from the DOT said it doesn't make it a code of law. I haven't been able to find the actual law saying it. I'm pretty sure if there was a law saying you couldn't fish from the bridge's, I would have received ticket's from the DNR checking my fishing licence when fishing on them. I seem to think the county sheriff's that stop and ask how the fishing is would say something to you too. But hey I could be wrong and just lucky that all the law officer's that stop don't know there is a law about it.
Smile

Catching is the result of finding, finding is the result of knowledge !!!

Profile Email Website PM
twdenney
 April 21 2017 07:26AM  
Forum Senior Member

Again common sense prevails here....but people on this site continue to say it is OK and continue to say there is no law against it....thank you for looking it up and setting it straight hopefully you are not labeled because people do not like to hear the truth. Again I love all of the accurate constructive banter on this site!

Profile Email PM
scherrman
 April 21 2017 08:26AM  
Forum Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I find it odd that the only info on this subject is from articles back in 2011. I couldn't find anything in Iowa's fishing regulations and couldn't find anything on the Iowa DOT site. If it were illegal you'd think it would be in writing where it could be found by the public now, not some news article from 2011. Seems odd.

Profile Email PM
Oldbear
 April 21 2017 09:27AM  
Forum Senior Member

Maybe its a DOT Admin Rule, maybe their making reference to Interstate bridges. RR property has always been a no no. The bridge part of the article could of been explained. Maybe its only enforced by DOT enforcement officers. Mr. Green

Profile Email PM
kenhump
 April 21 2017 10:25AM  
Forum Senior Member

I see no rule of law here. Based on train incident. IDOT said camera are illegal too, ya right.

Yes, caramel corn is a veggie.

Profile Email PM
twdenney
 April 21 2017 10:34PM  
Forum Senior Member

Yepyep...you guys are right on...Whatever the DOT says is only a recommendation they have no authority whatsoever...I love fishing from bridges the best ones are where I-35/I-80 crossed DSM river and where I-35 Crosses Raccoon River the best way is to setup lawn chairs right on shoulder you only need a lantern or something shining at night to be safe...bring the kids and marshmallows it's all good!

Profile Email PM
Content generated in: 0.31 seconds
New Topic Post Reply

All times are CDT. The time is now 01:58 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Anonymous users can post 
Full HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

Created this page in 0.35 seconds 
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Home
Copyright © 1997-2009 All Rights Reserved Iowa Sportsman is a division of Twin Rivers Media
900 Central Avenue Suite 1, Fort Dodge IA, 50501
Phone: 877-424-4594 Fax 515-574-2364 Email: info@twinriversmedia.com